Power cut discussion thread... please save electricity during the crisis

**Please Conserve Energy!**

Please try to use as little electricity as possible. We are currently experiencing electrical surges at the moment and we need to make sure that power is diverted to those that need it most. Try to conserve energy by only using what you absolutely need to. Please turn off lights and other any electrical items that are not essential for business or home use. Thank you for your help.

We have experienced power cuts in parts of the city over the last 24 hours. It is possible that further areas will be affected in the near future. We are asking people to conserve power as much as possible and take reasonable precautions. For example, make sure that you have some candles, a torch and some batteries for electrical items, if possible, in case of power failure in your neighbourhood. Please listen to the local radio for more information and further updates.

council put this on their website:

**Please Conserve Energy!**

Please try to use as little electricity as possible. We are currently experiencing electrical surges at the moment and we need to make sure that power is diverted to those that need it most. Try to conserve energy by only using what you absolutely need to. Please turn off lights and other any electrical items that are not essential for business or home use. Thank you for your help.

We have experienced power cuts in parts of the city over the last 24 hours. It is possible that further areas will be affected in the near future. We are asking people to conserve power as much as possible and take reasonable precautions. For example, make sure that you have some candles, a torch and some batteries for electrical items, if possible, in case of power failure in your neighbourhood. Please listen to the local radio for more information and further updates.

Please listen to the local radio for more information and further updates.

At least that makes *some* sense provided you had the foresight to have a radio which runs off batteries (thank goodness for my mobile phone). The previous advice I saw was to keep watching the television for updates on the power cuts. Hmmm.

My GF lost power at about 3pm yesterday and it's still not back yet. I live in Stoke-on-Trent, so I'm not effected, but I imagine it's not too nice for her and you lot down in the Sheffield area. I can't really find out how she is either cos she can't charge her mobile, and her land line isn't working either :( She has just tried to call me from a payphone, but I was still on my way home from work. Grr!!

So yes, everyone turn stuff so my girlfriend can have some electricity ;)

Guest Mod_Man

If you're going to ask people fox, do it right.

As people may be aware the Sheffield utilities are being stretched at the moment and the council have asked that residents of Sheffield try and conserve energy. The things you should try to avoid using or at least only use in emergencies are:

Electric fires

Kettles ( Only boil the water you need )

Electric showers

Emersion heaters

Electric cookers ( Try and stick to a minimum of rings )

Large screen TVs ( If you can, use a portable )

Instead of using the surround set up, try going with the TV speakers.

Try and avoid making a cuppa during the adverts, this causes surges and it's the surges that can be damaging at this time.

Don't think you have to turn everything off, the grid can and will cope, if things do get dangerous the power will be cut off regardless.

I think the basic rule is think, is it necessary, can I do without it for today. Ultimately, if you're not using it and it can be switched off, please do, you will be doing the electricity board and your fellow citizens a favour.

Don't go without if it will cause you harm.

Archived