Power cut discussion thread... please save electricity during the crisis

Yippee ! We have power again in Tinsley from around 11am today. Going to put the telly on at news time to see whats been happening as weve been the news and not been able to see it!

Ive just called the council on 0800 169 2996 I live S6 2LE

Apparently power is going to be off between 3pm - 6pm, 6pm-9pm today

3am-6am, 9pm-12pm tomorrow.

Give them a ring, you might have to wait in a cue but if you tell them what road you are on they will tell you when you are likely to get power cut.

Although she was very vague!!

I'm no expert but presume you could just turn the heating on and off as and when without using the thermostat? Like I say, I'm no expert!! Wish we had gas though as we've not been able to use ANYTHING for 48hrs now...

If your boiler has a pilot flame (typically older boilers) I think it may be able to come on independent of any electricity supply. I think our old boiler didn't require electricity to light either the pilot light or the boiler itself, but without having the controls on the timer I wouldn't have known how to get it to turn on.

If you have a boiler with a hot water tank you should be OK for hot water during power cuts. Just don't use it all at once as chances are the boiler won't be able to refill it during the power cut. And while the power is on don't use the immersion heater to keep the water hot - they're power hungry and will just make power cuts more likely.

If you have a combination boiler then you won't have a hot water tank - if our power is still out when we go home we're going to have to just sit it out for that reason.

Archived