Power cut discussion thread... please save electricity during the crisis

Didn't realise, until last night, that we were one of the few with hot water and a working gas oven in S6!

Our boiler is too ancient to be digital and our gas cooker doesn't have a 'safety over ride' on the gas oven........

Yippee....

and to think we almost paid a small fortune to get the boiler changed last year ;-)

Oof you jammy sods haha.

My mate in Wadsley was without electricity for 36hrs, no hot water or anything!

But hey, just gotta look at the devastation across the city to put stuff into perspective.

We're lucky! Think, a few hours without power, or a fooked up home?!

S6 2** here, and our power came back on about 10 minutes ago having been off for nearly 2.5 hours since about 9:10 - which bears absolutely no resemblance to the chart on the electricity board website! Typically, it came on literally 2 minutes after I'd given up hope and gone to bed!

We were also off for nearly 3 hours from 3:40 - 6:30ish.

Can I ask a stupid question?

Do ALL people in sheffield have to conserve electricity? or is it just the affected areas?

I am assuming that it is all of sheffield but I'm not too sure?

Spoke to someone at CE today to say that after having no electric for 32 hours I thought it was unfair to expect us to then have to have further cuts of three hours.....my reasoning was that there are other areas in sheffield, totley, dore and the like - the affluent areas that were not affected by the rain in the same way that are not included in the electric share....I was told it was to do with NATIONAL grid.....the clues are there I told her....NATIONAL...so pinch electric from other areas.....like the other side of sheffield. Lets face it, where I am on Winn Gardens the loss of electric would mean no hot water, no hot food and no lighting whereas I don't suppose it would mean much more than no jacuzzi to those who are burning brightly in their large homes. Apparently it doesn't work that way...perhaps NATIONAL grid is the wrong name for them......

And I was informed that S6 could possibly be off between 6am and 9am tomorrow morning.....:rant:

Spoke to someone at CE today to say that after having no electric for 32 hours I thought it was unfair to expect us to then have to have further cuts of three hours.....my reasoning was that there are other areas in sheffield, totley, dore and the like - the affluent areas that were not affected by the rain in the same way that are not included in the electric share....I was told it was to do with NATIONAL grid.....the clues are there I told her....NATIONAL...so pinch electric from other areas.....like the other side of sheffield. Lets face it, where I am on Winn Gardens the loss of electric would mean no hot water, no hot food and no lighting whereas I don't suppose it would mean much more than no jacuzzi to those who are burning brightly in their large homes. Apparently it doesn't work that way...perhaps NATIONAL grid is the wrong name for them......

And I was informed that S6 could possibly be off between 6am and 9am tomorrow morning.....:rant:

Well, I'm still here. :)

Switching power around the grid is one of those 'geeky' things that requires lots of very smart people pressing buttons at teh right time.

I'm sure there are technical reasons why power can't be switched from the dryer areas to those that have been clobbered. Also, if the power cuts are to allow for repairs, turning Dore off when the fault is in Wadsley Bridge would be useless, and fatal for teh engineers concerned. :)

Seriously - I'd assume that they know what they're doing and grin and bear it. I got my first good night's sleep in 3 days last night when we lost power, so there was a silver lining.

North Walkley (the Hillsborough/Netto end) was off from 3pm till after midnight last night, which I was not impressed by.

Surely we have a national grid and they can ship in power from elsewhere if the city has a shortage?

Archived