Power cut discussion thread... please save electricity during the crisis

Spoke to someone at CE today to say that after having no electric for 32 hours I thought it was unfair to expect us to then have to have further cuts of three hours.....my reasoning was that there are other areas in sheffield, totley, dore and the like - the affluent areas that were not affected by the rain in the same way that are not included in the electric share....I was told it was to do with NATIONAL grid.....the clues are there I told her....NATIONAL...so pinch electric from other areas.....like the other side of sheffield. Lets face it, where I am on Winn Gardens the loss of electric would mean no hot water, no hot food and no lighting whereas I don't suppose it would mean much more than no jacuzzi to those who are burning brightly in their large homes. Apparently it doesn't work that way...perhaps NATIONAL grid is the wrong name for them......

And I was informed that S6 could possibly be off between 6am and 9am tomorrow morning.....:rant:

Have you ever thought about the fact that the sub stations in neepsend, hills etc were under about 6ft of water ?

And all the power lines were damaged due to the floods.

To work and repair a powerline, you have to switch the electricity off.

S6 6 went off sometime this morning.

Was asleep so don't know the exact hours, i'd predict sometime around 7.30, but for 2hrs I think.

*This may be inaccurate, I am practically dead when I sleep.

Spoke to someone at CE today to say that after having no electric for 32 hours I thought it was unfair to expect us to then have to have further cuts of three hours.....my reasoning was that there are other areas in sheffield, totley, dore and the like - the affluent areas that were not affected by the rain in the same way that are not included in the electric share....I was told it was to do with NATIONAL grid.....the clues are there I told her....NATIONAL...so pinch electric from other areas.....like the other side of sheffield. Lets face it, where I am on Winn Gardens the loss of electric would mean no hot water, no hot food and no lighting whereas I don't suppose it would mean much more than no jacuzzi to those who are burning brightly in their large homes. Apparently it doesn't work that way...perhaps NATIONAL grid is the wrong name for them......

And I was informed that S6 could possibly be off between 6am and 9am tomorrow morning.....:rant:

I'm sure the last thing they need is people who think they know more about electricity than they do ringing up and ranting at them... :(

It's no help saying 'take electricity from the national grid' when the national grid's own infrastructure is what's been damaged!

S6 2** here, and our power came back on about 10 minutes ago having been off for nearly 2.5 hours since about 9:10 - which bears absolutely no resemblance to the chart on the electricity board website! Typically, it came on literally 2 minutes after I'd given up hope and gone to bed!

We were also off for nearly 3 hours from 3:40 - 6:30ish.

Yeah, I'm in S6 5 and ours was off at exactly the same times, yet those two times were not even showing on the grid for our postcode area as having any possibility of interruption. It stayed on at the times that there was a high chance of interruption. So I'd prepare for any eventuality... difficult I know if you're trying to plan things but hopefully it shouldn't be for too long!

Archived