Power cut discussion thread... please save electricity during the crisis

S6 6 went off sometime this morning.

Was asleep so don't know the exact hours, i'd predict sometime around 7.30, but for 2hrs I think.

*This may be inaccurate, I am practically dead when I sleep.

It went off bang on 8am, don't know what time it came back on.

I'm sure the last thing they need is people who think they know more about electricity than they do ringing up and ranting at them... :(

It's no help saying 'take electricity from the national grid' when the national grid's own infrastructure is what's been damaged!

I don't know anything about electric.....but its seems mighty unfair when we have just had a major power cut for 32 hours and some of the homes at the bottom of winn gardens have been damaged and personal property has been lost as a result that CE cant come up with a better solution that to say we will be involved in further cuts, especially when other areas that have not been affected by the water will not be affected by power cuts.

By the way Martin, are you in an area where you had a major outage and were your personal possessions ruined by the flood? I only lost the contents of my freezer and my heart goes out to those who have lost everything on their ground floor. The last thing they need in this time of crisis when they are trying to clean is is more power cuts. As it was the power didn't go off this morning.....maybe CE are being more sympathetic to those involved than some of the people on SF.

It went out at s6-2 again this morning for three hour's, now I certainly have no objection's to losing power for a few hours so they can do the repair work and share the limited power round the city. It would however be nice to have some prior warning, because the schedule is highly inacurate we have been off three times since yesterday morning.

I have been prety well prepared for this sort of thing so when the power go's off in the evening we have had the wind up radio on and I bought some solar powerd light's a few months ago, A very wise purchace that has come in very handy over the last 24 hours. I actually enjoyed sitting with the radio on reading by candlelight last night, shame about the creshendo of house alarms that get triggerd everytime the power come's on or get's switched off

Though re-reading the contents of my last post I have to thank all of the people who are enduring power cuts in areas that weren't part of the flooding itself.

Yes I am aware that the neepsend sub-station is damaged and it is part of the national grid BUT all the people who are on this sub-station have been diverted so that the sub-station can be repaired. It is nothing to do with switching the sub station off at times to do repairs. The sub station is off and that is it until it has dried out and can be repaired. All the work that was done was to re-route those on the sub-station to different areas. And my point was that if they can re-route people surely they can re-route electric. Sorry if my simple brain can't quite get it but it seems logical enough to me. The national grid is as it says....national....and as such I explained it to the woman I spoke to who said that national grid wanted to contain the problem rather than involve other areas. So it seems that what I was on about is possible its just that for whatever reason national grid don't see that as an option.

From what I heard on the radio this morning they are infact laying a temp high voltage cable to help solve the problem untill the damage can be repaired.. In the mean time we will just have to get on with it all the best we can.. It's not been too bad for me, we can cook on gas and I think the break from t.v will do the kids no harm. I will however be looking into buying some sort of solar energy panel or wind turbine when this is over, because it will become a regular occurance flooding and power loss

I certainly have no objection's to losing power for a few hours so they can do the repair work and share the limited power round the city. .

That was my point and you have said it too...."share the limited power round the city" but that is not what is happening. The electric share only involves a limited amount of postcodes and postees have already said that they are not included. This is not a gripe at individual people...its a gripe at the system and I am sure that more people would be willing to endure power cuts if it meant getting the people who have been affected up and running, that goes without question. Electricity is networked - the whole country is linked. I just don't get the logic.

And I am happy to do my bit and if that means my electric goes off again then so be it....all I was saying was that if the electric share was broadened to include ALL of Sheffield then those affected directly would not need to be involved again in the way it looks on the schedules that have been given for this area. :)

It'll be the design of the grid that determines how it's split/shared. If turning off other areas would not benefit those affected, there's no point in doing it. Let's hope the big new cable going in today helps!

That was my point and you have said it too...."share the limited power round the city" but that is not what is happening. The electric share only involves a limited amount of postcodes and postees have already said that they are not included. This is not a gripe at individual people...its a gripe at the system and I am sure that more people would be willing to endure power cuts if it meant getting the people who have been affected up and running, that goes without question. Electricity is networked - the whole country is linked. I just don't get the logic.

And I am happy to do my bit and if that means my electric goes off again then so be it....all I was saying was that if the electric share was broadened to include ALL of Sheffield then those affected directly would not need to be involved again in the way it looks on the schedules that have been given for this area. :)

The way I heard it explained is that there is a danger of overload if all of this side of the city were to draw electric from the network at the same time, the overload would cause high levels of damage to the allready partly knackerd network causing even more power loss, so they are monitoring the power consumption for this side of the city and switching areas off to ease the load..

I may be wrong but that's the drift I got from the chap on the radio today.

Archived