Power cut discussion thread... please save electricity during the crisis

I've given up looking at the tables of when the power's going to be off: They aren't very accurate. Ours has gone off three times now since yesterday morning. The house next door has the same postcode but its power-cuts happen at different times.

Still I'm happy to do my bit as it were. :)

I will however be looking into buying some sort of solar energy panel or wind turbine when this is over, because it will become a regular occurance flooding and power loss

I fully agree here .... people have been saying that it has never happened before whilst living on Winn Gardens for 40 years....that is true but it has happened NOW and in todays global climate it can and very possibly will happen again. I walked down to our local park on the day and the water in the river was running at a very rapid rate. For whatever reasons I don't think this estate was fully prepared for this.....yes we had the weather forecasts but it seems that there was little in the way of a plan of action by the authorities....it all seems like after the event stuff. And I am surprised that people in Rotherham and Doncaster were not made more aware sooner....after all where did the authorities THINK all this water was going to go???? Even from history the Dale Dyke flood (above Bradfield) caused a torrent of water that reached Doncaster......the clues are there.

You have a valid point....perhaps it is now the time to give serious consideration to other means of power because flooding and electric certainly don't mix and in the last few years we have heard story after story of similar occurances all around Britain....chance for Gordon Brown me thinks!!!! :)

It went out at s6-2 again this morning for three hour's,

Was yours also off 3.45pm-6.15pm and 9.15pm-11.45pm yesterday? If so you're probably in the same block as me - good news if it's been off once already today as it reduces the chances of it being off twice this evening again.

I fully agree here .... people have been saying that it has never happened before whilst living on Winn Gardens for 40 years....that is true but it has happened NOW and in todays global climate it can and very possibly will happen again. I walked down to our local park on the day and the water in the river was running at a very rapid rate. For whatever reasons I don't think this estate was fully prepared for this.....yes we had the weather forecasts but it seems that there was little in the way of a plan of action by the authorities....it all seems like after the event stuff. And I am surprised that people in Rotherham and Doncaster were not made more aware sooner....after all where did the authorities THINK all this water was going to go???? Even from history the Dale Dyke flood (above Bradfield) caused a torrent of water that reached Doncaster......the clues are there.

You have a valid point....perhaps it is now the time to give serious consideration to other means of power because flooding and electric certainly don't mix and in the last few years we have heard story after story of similar occurances all around Britain....chance for Gordon Brown me thinks!!!! :)

I agree the goverment has do do somthing to contain the Don and adapt the drainage systems, I have just come back from visiting my sister on lepping's lane and had a good look at the state of the river. I hope this heavy band of rain does not make it rise too much. My O.H thinks I am a crackpot for planning for such events.. but he did not grumble last nightwhen he was using the solar lights and listning to the radio. Next time I will be more prepared Maplin have a great range of solar products

Was yours also off 3.45pm-6.15pm and 9.15pm-11.45pm yesterday? If so you're probably in the same block as me - good news if it's been off once already today as it reduces the chances of it being off twice this evening again.

Yes that seems to be our pattern, I expect we will go off once more tonight at some point..(I have given up on trying to work it out)

I agree the goverment has do do somthing to contain the Don and adapt the drainage systems, I have just come back from visiting my sister on lepping's lane and had a good look at the state of the river. I hope this heavy band of rain does not make it rise too much. My O.H thinks I am a crackpot for planning for such events.. but he did not grumble last nightwhen he was using the solar lights and listning to the radio. Next time I will be more prepared Maplin have a great range of solar products

Doesn't even have to be solar powered. I have lots of those little LED battery push lights......Poundland for a pack of two.....the batteries last for ages because the LED draws so little power to work......and I must confess here I am a radio freak.....I have battery powered radios all about my house.....and even ones that I let neighbours borrow whilst the power was off....I would be totally lost without a radio.

Seriously though you are right the government has to do more.....this country has had enough of these flash flood situations and it is not a new phenomenon linked with present climate.....remember lynton and lynmouth in the 1950's (before I was born I hasten to add) and the east coast floods also of the 1950's. Since then it has been regular and little is done in the way of planning and developers keep on building on those flood plains. What sense is that. This is basic infrastructure stuff....not rocket science. And in each case it is an after the event thing rather than recognition of the danger and prevention. There was a storm drain put in a few years ago in Hillsborough Park near the Wednesday ground.....what good was that on Monday..:)

I agree the goverment has do do somthing to contain the Don and adapt the drainage systems

Man doesn't often manage to successfully tame the forces of nature. At least not without terrible consequences further down the line. The better approach is not to build on floodplains.

Yes that seems to be our pattern, I expect we will go off once more tonight at some point..(I have given up on trying to work it out)

I reckon 9pm-12pm again as that was the only time on the chart for my postcode where there was no chance of it going off...

Archived