Ulley Dam discussion and latest news

Tony

I would imagine that the authorities are pumping out to get the level as low as possible before the forecast rains for tomorrow which may well fill it up again. The level of risk will have to be assessed continually and at some stage the decision made as to whether a controlled explosion when the dam is at its lowest possible level is better than to risk an uncontrolled sudden breach when the level has risen again.

I would expect them to keep pumping out for as long as possible and then to make a decision before we lose the light. I suppose sometime around 7pm would be optimum as we'd still have a few hours of light left and most of the commuter traffic will have gone.

This is, of course, only my opinion.

I agree, Tony - despite news reports I haven't seen anyone working on reinforcing the dam face, it would be far too dangerous I suppose. It's also difficult for the engineers to properly assess the earth bank interior stability without undue risk. (I'm an engineer but this is not my specialty)

I know that it would cause a lot of grief, but is anyone else kind of hoping the power will go out for a bit?

I know what you mean - I love a good power cut, it does get tedious after a few hours though!

If we're going to have one, can we please get on with it so I can get sent home from work please ;)

I know that it would cause a lot of grief, but is anyone else kind of hoping the power will go out for a bit?

Errrr......no not really. Having no power in my house (fuse box under water) is enough grief already thanks :loopy:

Shouldnt we be ignoring Radio Sheffield however as stated earlier in this very thread?

That would be good general advice for most days I think. Have you perhaps got some link to that organisation and object to its shortcomings being advertised?

That would be good general advice for most days I think. Have you perhaps got some link to that organisation and object to its shortcomings being advertised?

I personally dont think its good advice at all - and by someone saying on here on a public forum that the station is useless and should be ignored - isnt that slightly libelous to say such things?

Personally, I really dont think its wise for Sheffield Forum to be putting potentially libelous statements about a BBC Radio Station on here.

It's ironic that my son's school will be putting on their annual show tomorrow - commemorating, as they do every year, the 1864 Sheffield Flood. Radio Sheffield's shortcomings aside, perhaps we should be thankful that news travels a good deal faster than it did 143 years ago!

I saw that as well. The Sky reporter thinks that the amount of water required to flood the substation is quite small as it is so close to being flooded alreadt. And of course the water being pumped out of the reservoir is making water levels increase. The reporter noticed this increase in catcliffe and said the levels are still rising.

Archived