Ulley Dam discussion and latest news

Tony

I thought the water was going to go North-west from the dam. Towards J33 of the M1?

Had a brief nosey at the ordinance survey maps at work, but didn't have much time to get a good idea of what was what

Maybe a better map reader than I can judge where the water will flow?

I don't think the Rother (that the dam water would apparently follow) heads into Sheffield from it's position, but I could be utterly wrong.

There has just been a new conference with the guy from Rotherham council I made notes as he spoke. So sorry that it's not more nicely formatted.

13 pumps on, situation critical. M1 closed J32-J36.

How long will it take to know if the wall is safe?

Flows maintained. Engineers checking hourly.

Right now no estimate can be given.

A few hours before situation clear.

If the dam wall collapses what happens?

Risk to life minimal because of evacuations. (No mention of power).

How long until people can get home?

Don't know yet, they are trying to understand the dam more. It is unlikely that they will get home tonight.

Was the dam in a good state of repair?

Yes. Checked recently.

How long to empty the Dam?

The existing pumps are just stabilizing the dam. They will need to be more pumps, which are on the way. The Engineers want 1-2m drop in level of the dam.

How can the wall be supported?

Looking at structural supports.

Overall the guy was not upbeat at all.

is it me or is the dam level just not dropping?

The shots I seen on SKY it doesn't seem to be dropping any?

They are managing to keep it level at the moment - pumping out whats going in.

Hoping to reduce the level and therefore stress on the dam wall

I thought the water was going to go North-west from the dam. Towards J33 of the M1?

Had a brief nosey at the ordinance survey maps at work, but didn't have much time to get a good idea of what was what

Maybe a better map reader than I can judge where the water will flow?

I don't think the Rother (that the dam water would apparently follow) heads into Sheffield from it's position, but I could be utterly wrong.

The Rother heads north from Beighton, past Orgreave to Catcliffe, then meanders around a bit around J33, then north again to Rotherham where it meets the Don. Water from Ulley would I think head more or less straight downhill toward J33 along a little valley (not the Rother but some other smaller river or stream, name not marked on OS map as far as I can see) and the power transformer.

will the flood waters from there reach Sheffield?

I don't think so. Other people which do not live near that area is also keeping an interest is because there is a substation near the Ulley Reservoir, which powers Sheffield.

There is a map here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/6239782.stm

Updates from the South York. Fire & Rescue.

Current SYFR Priorities

----------------------

19. Since around 2.30am, Ulley Dam has been deemed to be in imminent danger of being breached by high waters

20. Around 300 homes in the Catcliffe, Canklow, Whiston and Treeton areas have been evacuated to Dinnington School

21. 6 High Volume Pumps (HVPs) were requested at 2.30am to attempt to disperse water from the dam and are being provided by FRS from Derbyshire, Cheshire, Staffordshire, Merseyside, West Midlands and Lancashire

22. Ten HVPs are expected at Ulley by 1030hrs. A further 5 have been requested to assist with mopping up operations elsewhere in South Yorkshire

23. A breach of the dam would pose a major threat to the M1, the evacuated homes and the Brinsworth electricity sub-station which supplies Sheffield and some surrounding areas

Current Evacuations

--------------------

24. A flood warning is also in place for the River Don and homes are being evacuated around the Sprotborough area

25. As at 1000hrs on Tuesday, thousands of people are being evacuated in the Bentley area of Doncaster.

http://www.syfire.gov.uk/news_14332E006665469C8DBE3BF2E4D6DE9C.asp

I know downstream on the Don are bracing themselves. My parents live in Bentley and quite a way from the river. People have been evacuated up to the next street but they have been warned to be ready to leave if the damn does burst as levels will rise rapidly.

Anyone who after watching what the rain and rising rivers have done to Sheffield in the last few days, thinks that they can say 100% for certain without ANY doubt...that this damn will not burst....is a moron.

It won't burst...

http://www.thepcoffice.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=9

It's not very clear but I think Camera 14 facing the electrical sub-station. It looks quite wet.

It was pretty full when I drove past last night. I dread to think how it'll turn out on the off chance that the dam goes!

Not looking forwards to the prospect of the M1 being out of action for a long time either.

Archived