Ulley Dam discussion and latest news

Tony

I'm not familiar with the rivers that are around the reservoir, if it were to burst would it surge into the Don & Rother causing more chaos in Sheffield and in Rotherham centre?

I hope to god it doesn't break...

into the Rother at Canklow meadows

Dams often fail when a horizontal fissure and / or water conspire to form a slip plane inside the structure which then allows the upper section of the earthwork to rotate about the lower section - imagine your right fist rotating out of the palm of your upturned left hand.

However, on this occasion the water isn't going over the top (from what we know, but it might have in the night) and the earthwork is being undermined from the rear face which of course will reduce the water mass that it can withstand, so it may well 'burst'. However, semantics aside, and the fact that I could be talking total tosh (it's nearly 20 years since I studied any civil engineering) I'm sure that the engineers on site have a grip on things - even if they are struggling to come up with a satisfactory solution in the short term.

Let's hope that things work out for the best. There is a lot of land, property and infrastructure below that dam wall. :(

Is it just me or did that sound like: blur blah ble dam blurdy blardy blah, blah blah blah short term, too anybody else :hihi:

Thanks Tony, you sound like you know you what you're talking about so i'll just wait for updates.

Also, it's worth noting that if it does break it might be fair to assume that the electricity sub-station will be turned off which mill mean that much Sheffield will lose electricity.

This is an assumption, but I wouldn't be surprised if the electricity goes off for some time.

Ulley Dam was headline news on BBC Radio 4 news all morning: they also specifically mentioned the 'power lines' and 'substation'.

It is still not exactly clear whether the power lines and/or the sub-station actually DO supply as much as 80% of Sheffield's power. Can we get confirmation of this from someone in National Power/other power companies?

I live in the city centre and was expecting power-cuts; however, so far we seem to have been lucky here...

Admin, would it be worth setting up a SEPERATE thread about power-cuts, seeing that more rain is forecast later on Thursday, and the Ulley dam situation might only get worse, never mind other power links suffering from flooding elsewhere?

Archived