Ulley Dam discussion and latest news

Tony

Hallam FM keep saying it's close to bursting

So did the SF admin/moderators and it never happened. You see the same thing on 24 hour news channels, everyone gets a bit carried away and over excited when anything significant and unpredictable is happening.

You can't get past on Pleasley Road down Guithwaite Hill to Rotherham but the A57 was fine. I live in Aughton and it took me from 6.35 until 7.10 to get onto the motorway this morning. and then it was 7.50 before I joined the M18 1/3 of a mile away.

Walked down to look on Ulley (it's just over the road from me) earlier on to see as it's effectively blocked Aston/Aughton/Swallownest off from Rotherham unless you go up to Doncaster first. You can still see the bridge arch and emergency vehicles were certainly travelling round the area. I've lived in this area most of my life and although I've obviously never seen it this bad, I'm sure I've seen the bridge further underwater than it is? Another local woman who was a bit older than me agreed as well.

Just read this on Wiki and thought it was quite interesting, not that i'm suggesting anyone could have predicted this weather!

The possibility of the dam being susceptible to cracking had been discussed in 1970, at a conference about problems with dams of a similar age and construction,[9], however it is not known if the "concrete pads" observed at the reservior[10] are actually piezometers installed to measure any problems in the dam, as discussed at the 1970 conference.

does anyone know whats going on with the dam? no news coverage at the mo :(

Its just been on ITV on a special programme, and they said its going down, but as they pump 1 million gallons of water out every hour, its obviously swamping the nearby village, so take it from one place and soak another. :o

They have errected a big sheet thing up against the damn now.

Archived