Ulley Dam discussion and latest news

Tony

Most deffinatly i dont live anywhere near the said dam but from pictures i had seen on tv and on the net it dosent look as if the hole on the bank of the dam looked to be all that big in comparison to how big that bank was.

But at a guess id say they were probably told to pump out the water from a higher lvl person of responability as seems nowa days health and safety regulations is all the trend.

Hmmm. I'm not sure I'd like to be the person making the decision. In fact, I'm glad I'm not.

Most deffinatly i dont live anywhere near the said dam but from pictures i had seen on tv and on the net it dosent look as if the hole on the bank of the dam looked to be all that big in comparison to how big that bank was.

But at a guess id say they were probably told to pump out the water from a higher lvl person of responability as seems nowa days health and safety regulations have gone crazy in my opinion.

Christ some people will question anything and everything! My OH is a structural engineer. He says if the water had gone over the top of the dam the whole bank would have collapsed. Did you see how many fire engines were pumping out water, and for most of the day were just managing to keep the reservoir level?

Catcliffe is under 5ft of water, my auntys house inside is covered past the mantle piece in water! I dont think any area has been effected like this! Our family is going through hell at the moment with worry for them!

Christ some people will question anything and everything! My OH is a structural engineer. He says if the water had gone over the top of the dam the whole bank would have collapsed. Did you see how many fire engines were pumping out water, and for most of the day were just managing to keep the reservoir level?

Im not questioning the Fire Brigade or indeed any Structural Engineer i was mearly pointing out from my own opinion to a previous post,

Im sure the people involved are doing the best they can in a difficult situation as this is what they are paid to do and indeed care to do, but as pointed out im also sure there will be questions asked, if indeed it was necessary.

As i pointed out about the hole size in my opinion

My O.H has just got home from work, he works for the N.H.S he says that people have been running round like blue arsed flys all day getting a disaster plan together for the dam breaching, the health service is on a high alert and the talk where he works is that if that sub station does get flooded that the power could be off for up to a week!!! apprently the managment have been conflabing over generators and back up power supplys for the hospitals most of the day. it could be looking bleak if that dam does go

I think there will be many people questionning wether or not the dam wall would have actually burst without interference. Therefore wether the areas needed to get so badly flooded at all.

But at a guess id say they were probably told to pump out the water from a higher lvl person of responability as seems nowa days health and safety regulations is all the trend.

I just can't believe there is anyone saying this. The dam's OK because *it looks all right to me* and all the effort the crews are making is simply down to a 'trend'? If they succeed you'll say 'See? Nothing happened. Waste of money.'

Why don't you google Sheffield 1864. The original crack was just big enough to slide a hand into, but it was enough to kill 250 people. If there is any city that shouldn't be complacent about possible dam collapse, it's this one. :rolleyes:

While people whose homes are downstream of Ulley have my deepest sympathy, there is no question in my mind that they're doing the right thing taking the water level in the reservoir down. I'm an engineering geologist and have studied records of numerous dam failures. By bringing down the water level they are potentially averting a huge disaster.

Don't forget the Great Sheffield Flood. In that case a dam actually burst. Every bridge between the Rivelin valley and Lady bridge was destroyed. Hundreds were killed. If the dam at Ulley were to breach the chances are that all the low lying houses in the villages immediately downstream would be destroyed and many more flooded than could possibly be the case with pumping the reservoir. You would be looking at a wall of water comparable with a tsunami. For more info on the Great Sheffield Flood I recommend looking here: http://www.mick-armitage.staff.shef.ac.uk/sheffield/photogal/picindex.html

(see trail of destruction)

By pumping water from the reservoir they are significantly reducing the chance of the dam failing.

Better to try and avoid a disaster that may not happen, than to do nothing about a disaster that may happen.

People should just be behind all those people that are working through the night and all through the day for all of us ungrateful lot who are sat on ere all day making useless comments. I know I would be a little 'unhappy' if I had done that for everyone and all they done was make speculations that I was wasting my time, and I'm sure you would feel the same.

Archived