Ulley Dam discussion and latest news

Tony

Earlier today they said that some people 'chose' to go stand up at Morrisons - they probably didn't think it was going to go on for more than a couple of hours.

One poor woman had her dog and cat with her but had to leave her birds behind.

Earlier today they said that some people 'chose' to go stand up at Morrisons - they probably didn't think it was going to go on for more than a couple of hours.

One poor woman had her dog and cat with her but had to leave her birds behind.

My family didnt choose to stay at morrisons. They were left cos they couldnt get to dinnington. Know ones fault.

How long were they left for Tattybear? Hope they're somewhere safe now.

They got picked up from morrisons by my cousin and took to her house now they are in a B&B. Dont know for how long becasue round there people havent got full insurance policies cos they are classed as high risk so their insurance policies have clauses in the contract about flooding so althought they might get some belongings back the insurance companies arent paying for them to live somewhere in the mean time like they would for normal policies. But thank you, they are safe.

What I can't understand is, why are they wasting time waiting for super sized pumps to be brought from the 4 corners of the UK to help get the water level down. Every schoolboy knows if you fill a pipe with water and hang it out of a bucket it will syphon the bucket empty. Why cant they just get some 2 foot diameter gas pipes from the largest supplier of plastic pipes in the Northern hemisphere ( Polypipe at Doncaster ) and set a few pipes up with a few valves for good measure. No pumps required once its flowing! :roll:

What I can't understand is, why are they wasting time waiting for super sized pumps to be brought from the 4 corners of the UK to help get the water level down. Every schoolboy knows if you fill a pipe with water and hang it out of a bucket it will syphon the bucket empty. Why cant they just get some 2 foot diameter gas pipes from the largest supplier of plastic pipes in the Northern hemisphere ( Polypipe at Doncaster ) and set a few pipes up with a few valves for good measure. No pumps required once its flowing! :roll:

had the same thought, the physics say it should work but doing it on such a large scale, i dont know :suspect:

Wow, why don't you dash over there now and tell them, I'm sure the amateurs over there be ever so grateful. :loopy:

it all sounds good but it would not work as the diamiter of the pipe is a critical factor to big and air will travel back up and no more syphon effect.thats why it has to be pumped out ,,with a pump you can shift 4 times the amount under load

Wow, why don't you dash over there now and tell them, I'm sure the amateurs over there be ever so grateful. :loopy:

It'll be in the Star tomorrow - Rotherham disaster averted after ground breaking suggestion spotted on the Sheffield Forum......;)

Archived