Ulley Dam discussion and latest news

Tony

Lets just all hope the rain is not that bad over the weekend. Dread to think what Sheffield and surrounding areas will be like if we have a repeat of Monday.

From what I heard on Radio 4, the rain at the weekend will be heavy, but won't be as heavy as that on Monday. They also confirmed that the Ulley Reservoir is in a 'stable' condition. Let's hope it stable enough over Saturday and Sunday when pumping will have to continue.

What a stupid idea someone put forward on the radio. Everyone who is served by the ulley reservoir should turn their taps on at the same time to help empty it. then all the water won't pour down the valley keeping the villages flooded.....hang on a mo.....would that work?

anyone know?

At first glance it sounds silly. However - would it ? I guess if it would they'd have suggested it already & my hubby would have had a fit as we are on a water meter !!!

if the dam goes we will be flooded in kilnhurst, rotherham half of the main road as now gone, due to all the road foundations being ripped up by the water and took down stream, bad news is if ulley does go, which is only a matter of time, a lot more houses will be flooded, not in sheffield but in rotherham and doncaster due to it flooding down to catcliffe then into the river rother through brinsworth and canklow then joining the don at westgate in rotherham then on towards doncaster, which will be a major disatser especially for rotherham town centre!

Hope it doesn't go, but it will at some stage, maybe on saturday maybe, the only real way it will affect sheffield, is the M1 will be closed at rotherham and it will hit the power sub station at canklow in rotherham, which supllies most of sheffields power.

Well lets cheer everybody up. I presume you know all these things for a fact, just because your best mate is a firefighter,

I can do better than that my cousin is the chief fire officer at Ulley, and he doesn't even know.

If Ulley did go I'm sure everyone would have to be warned its not something the council can keep to themselves.

I personally love Ulley, and realy appreciate everything thats been done

by the fire service the police and the engineers,

Well lets cheer everybody up. I presume you know all these things for a fact, just because your best mate is a firefighter,

I can do better than that my cousin is the chief fire officer at Ulley, and he doesn't even know.

If Ulley did go I'm sure everyone would have to be warned its not something the council can keep to themselves.

Radio Sheffield are reporting that the Fire Brigade have now left Ulley and private contractors are carrying on the pumping work. This, and the M1 being re-opened, do suggest things are looking a lot more positive.

I don't think Ulley is actually used to supply water any more, I heard it was sold to Rotherham Council as it was no longer needed as part of the water supply system. Don't know if this is true but if it is, turning taps on won't help, except to flood the drains.

What a stupid idea someone put forward on the radio. Everyone who is served by the ulley reservoir should turn their taps on at the same time to help empty it. then all the water won't pour down the valley keeping the villages flooded.....hang on a mo.....would that work?

anyone know?

Unfortunately the reservoir is a reserve reservoir it doesn't serve anyone, it's just a big boating lake really.

I've just been down about an hour and a half ago and the picture is completely different to yesterday. The valley over to the Marriot hotel is now a field, not a lake as it was on Tues/Wed and the little bridge at the back, you can just see the underarch (or whatever they are called) whereas before it was up to the topstone of the bridge. It seemed very peaceful and tranquil again - apart from the now traffic on the M1.

Unfortunately the reservoir is a reserve reservoir it doesn't serve anyone, it's just a big boating lake really.

I've just been down about an hour and a half ago and the picture is completely different to yesterday. The valley over to the Marriot hotel is now a field, not a lake as it was on Tues/Wed and the little bridge at the back, you can just see the underarch (or whatever they are called) whereas before it was up to the topstone of the bridge. It seemed very peaceful and tranquil again - apart from the now traffic on the M1.

Can you get over the other side now,

if you park on the bridge, not the bit where they are working.

You're quite right it doesn't serve anyone any more,

but as well as a boating lake, its a very beautiful nature reserve,

The purpose it has as well. lots of water flows in to from the hillsides.

which otherwise would have caused flooding before now.

Just this time there was an exceptional ammount, that no one could have forseen.

Can you get over the other side now,

if you park on the bridge, not the bit where they are working.

You're quite right it doesn't serve anyone any more,

but as well as a boating lake, its a very beautiful nature reserve,

The purpose it has as well. lots of water flows in to from the hillsides.

which otherwise would have caused flooding before now.

Just this time there was an exceptional ammount, that no one could have forseen.

Not to the bridge. You can walk down to Turnshaw farm and the bottom field but they were allowing you to do that Tuesday. Last night they started allowing traffic up from Ulley along the Aston exit, they were only allowing access before for villagers. You still can't get down the Treeton crossroads end or obviously Reservoir Road which is how you get to the bridge as I recall.

It's weird, I live here and have done for all but four years of my uni life and I've really neglected Ulley to walk down to over the last few years. It's a beautiful area, i love looking out onto it and you'll all have to come visit when you can.(Ulley, not me lol :)

Archived