Ulley Dam discussion and latest news

Tony

Where did the water from Ulley reservoir go to.

The Rother at Brinsworth.

The maps show the path of the Ulley brook from the Reservoir under the M1 until it joins with the Rother.

The photos show how high it got last Tuesday. Note the tree damage and level that it go to in the field at the side of it. They were taken on 30th June 07 at high flow after rain and when the ground was saturated from Tuesday.

Please also note that the River Don peaked on Monday night, but the River Rother flooded throughout Tuesday when the pumps were running. They both had around the same rainfall at the same time and are a similar length.

I can't include a link but they are at picasaweb google then search on Ulley then click on James.

but wot option did they have? if the dam had burst it would have caused much bigger problems, imagine that amount of water flooding down the valley!

ulley was a serious threat both to property and life and this was averted by prompt action. The road is still closed and there is still alot of work to be done to make the dam safe

other rivers flooded at a later date not just due to the extra water being released by pumping ulley reservoir but due to the fact that they r down stream, and the fact that water reaches rivers at different times depending on the lie of the land in its catchment area and how long it takes water to reach the river from underground, rivers with a large catchment area tend to flood later as the water from underground flows into the river and builds up.

why do we continue to build on floodplains?

flooding is a natual occurance! by fencing rivers in we are creating the problems in the 1st place

but wot option did they have? if the dam had burst it would have caused much bigger problems, imagine that amount of water flooding down the valley!

ulley was a serious threat both to property and life and this was averted by prompt action. The road is still closed and there is still alot of work to be done to make the dam safe

other rivers flooded at a later date not just due to the extra water being released by pumping ulley reservoir but due to the fact that they r down stream, and the fact that water reaches rivers at different times depending on the lie of the land in its catchment area and how long it takes water to reach the river from underground, rivers with a large catchment area tend to flood later as the water from underground flows into the river and builds up.

why do we continue to build on floodplains?

flooding is a natual occurance! by fencing rivers in we are creating the problems in the 1st place

does anyone know if pleasley rd at side of dam is now open?

Do you know how they remove the ' Drain Plug'? Thanks

It is not like a bath plug if that is what you are thinking !

Normally it would be a sliding gate opening into a pipe that passes through the dam wall, at Redmires I believe they are at the bottom of the tubular structure that is towards the centre of the dam with the foot bridge to it.

It is not like a bath plug if that is what you are thinking !

Normally it would be a sliding gate opening into a pipe that passes through the dam wall, at Redmires I believe they are at the bottom of the tubular structure that is towards the centre of the dam with the foot bridge to it.

Thank you. I've often asked myself how a dam is emptied because usually all that is visible is a sluice over-flow usually by the side of the dam wall. I recollect that at Ladybower (Ashopton) in the late 1950s a circular over-flow being built. This can be seen off the main road that runs to Bamford.

Someone told me at the time, though if it is true or not, I don't know. Was that ports built into this circular over-flow structure could be opened to govern the water level of the dam and the River Derwent that runs in the Hope Valley below through Chatsworth. With sufficient foresight this could be used to prevent excessive flooding through Hathersgae, Grindleford, Calver, Chatsworth into Darley Dale & Matlock.

Archived