Road closures discussion volume 2... from Tuesday evening

Tony

I managed to get from Retford to Sheffield this morning via the A57 but I did set off at 5:30!

Yesterday I got turned back after 3 hours of trying.

Just hoping it doesn't rain anymore today!!

Crikey, Dave I've decided not to make the journey. Feel guilty but do not want a 6 hour round trip. :(

Anyone trying to get to Rothertham from Stocksbridge then just forget it.

You can take the back road from deepcar to wortley, then through HowBrook onto the A61 to tankersley roundabout.

However from there your stuffed.

My plan was to drop down into Chapeltown from the mini roundabout of the M1 and out across thorpe hesley. The road to the mini roundabout is closed at tankersley roundabout (mcdonalds). Leaving you the option of the A61 into Sheffield which is stationary, or out across Hoyland which is also stationary. I believe the road from Hoyland through Wentworth is closed too according to the BBC.

I can't think of another way there. I had to ring work and tell them unless the M1 is re-opened I haven't got a cats chance in hell of getting there :(

Can anyone tell me whether the road from Malin Bridge up to Lower Bradfield is open to traffic. Yesterday there was a note on the Sheffield Corporattion site which said that Loxley Road was closed, then a mate told me it was open and now the Corporation site is telling me it is closed again. Help would be appreciated before 09:30 if that is possible.

Sorry it's after 9.30,but yes,Loxley Road is open.

I came in from Leeds this morning, mainly following the signed diversions for the A61, which doubles you back at the High Green roudabout, north along the A629 towards Wortley, south along high ridge road 'woodhead road', and dropped down through Grenoside until you finally join the A61 down by the railway bridge. It was crawling all the way, and at the end junction the traffic lights were out. No traffic police so massive backlog as everyone tried to turn right towards city centre. It added about an hour to my journey time.

Tips would be, comng into Sheff at least, would be to try and join the A61 as high up as possible, nearer Grenoside. I'm not sure exactly where it is cordoned off, does anyone know?

Another possiblity would be to drop down to Outibridge but then might get caught up in diverted Middlewood road traffic.

Thanks, Clare

You can get on the M1 northbound at J35 (Chapeltown). Traffic diverted off the A61 at Burncross seems to be diverting through High Green, but it's a clear run through Chapeltown to the M1, and there was hardly anything on the M1 when I got on about 20 mins ago. Southbound is bad and is being diverted off at J36, but north from J35 is fine!

From the Sheffield City Council website as at 9:50 today...

Road Closures

Heavy rain has caused disruption to the road network.

Roads closed:

* A61 at Burn Cross

* Rotherham Road, near Beighton

Parts of Middlewood Road are closed due to damage to a footpath caused by the flooding. There are diversions in place for drivers. Traffic entering Oughtibridge towards Sheffield is being diverted up Jawbone Hill towards Grenoside. Any traffic leaving Sheffield on Middlewood Road is being diverted on to Stockharth Lane.

The M1 is currently closed between Junctions 32 and 36, in both directions.

Roads now open:

All other roads are now open.

Archived