Where in Sheffield is Billy Sharp from?

owl_that

I don't know how to post links but this is the first part of a story in the Burngreave messenger about Billy Sharp:

Story and photo: Brent Moya

Twenty-four months after moving to Scunthorpe, Billy Sharp has sealed his return to Sheffield United. I caught up with the free scoring forward to hear about his future plans and growing up in Burngreave.

Sharp was brought up in Burngreave and attended Byron Wood Primary School and Ecclesfield Comprehensive.

“My happiest memory is playing football on Edgar Street. Alan Shearer was my childhood idol,” reminisced Sharp.

As a youngster he played for Under 8 Middlewood Rovers before attending the Rotherham United School of Excellence, before signing for Sheffield United as a School boy in 2002, progressing through the academy.

If you're bothered or don't believe me type 'Billy Sharp Pitsmoor' into google and this is the third available article.

This article is from the Burngreave messenger and so unsurprisingly says Billy Sharp is from Burngreave. In reality Pitsmoor and Burngreave are the same area - people use either Burngreave or Pitsmoor when describing it. I bet if you asked Billy Sharp where he was from he'd say Pitsmoor - he defo wouldn't say Dronfield:)

What possessed you to type Billy Sharp Pitsmoor into google! I tried Billy Sharp regular goal scorer in google and no results found ;)

What possessed you to type Billy Sharp Pitsmoor into google! I tried Billy Sharp regular goal scorer in google and no results found ;)

You must have spelt his name wrong then:) If you search for the top goal scorers in the championship you will find his name above that of any Wednesday player:)

I don't know how to post links but this is the first part of a story in the Burngreave messenger about Billy Sharp:

Story and photo: Brent Moya

Twenty-four months after moving to Scunthorpe, Billy Sharp has sealed his return to Sheffield United. I caught up with the free scoring forward to hear about his future plans and growing up in Burngreave.

Sharp was brought up in Burngreave and attended Byron Wood Primary School and Ecclesfield Comprehensive.

“My happiest memory is playing football on Edgar Street. Alan Shearer was my childhood idol,” reminisced Sharp.

As a youngster he played for Under 8 Middlewood Rovers before attending the Rotherham United School of Excellence, before signing for Sheffield United as a School boy in 2002, progressing through the academy.

If you're bothered or don't believe me type 'Billy Sharp Pitsmoor' into google and this is the third available article.

This article is from the Burngreave messenger and so unsurprisingly says Billy Sharp is from Burngreave. In reality Pitsmoor and Burngreave are the same area - people use either Burngreave or Pitsmoor when describing it. I bet if you asked Billy Sharp where he was from he'd say Pitsmoor - he defo wouldn't say Dronfield:)

chuffed to know billy went to the same school as me. but in my day it was burngreave middle school not byron wood. i also played football on edger street but 30 years before billy. he must have made it to the big time cos he played on tarmac as we played on the old cobbles. oh what could have been eh.

and as an old burngreave lad of the 70's we always refered to burngreave as being in pitsmoor.

chuffed to know billy went to the same school as me. but in my day it was burngreave middle school not byron wood. i also played football on edger street but 30 years before billy. he must have made it to the big time cos he played on tarmac as we played on the old cobbles. oh what could have been eh.

Where abouts in Pitsmoor is Edgar Street? - I haven't heard of it before I don't think.

and as an old burngreave lad of the 70's we always refered to burngreave as being in pitsmoor.

Yes they are the same difference in reality - I am from that side of town and by far the more commonly used name is Pitsmoor. I think the use of the 2 of the names has to do with the council and the high crime levels that exist there - if they have 2 names for basically the same area they can say crime is down in Pitsmoor or crime is down in Burngreave when in reality they are referring to certain parts of the whole area and so can pull the wool over peoples eyes. A bit off topic but some people might not know where these areas are and not realise there is essentially no difference between them.

It is better that he is from Pitsmoor (even if you are not from there) than Dronfield as Dronfield isn't actually in Sheff and so Billy is really a proper Sheffield boy. No offence to anyone from Dronny.

• 2 months later...

Glad we didn't spend £2m on a lower league striker who's failed to score in 17 out of 19 appearances this season.

This after the "excuse" for last season's similar barren run was that Robson didn't play him in the proper position - but Blackwell would.

Glad we didn't spend £2m on a lower league striker who's failed to score in 17 out of 19 appearances this season.

You dont seriously think you were in the running do you Al ?

You were in the running for 2 seconds till someone at wendy saw the (m) after the £2

Archived