The Strines Inn @ Bradfield- what's the food like?

GazB

• 4 months later...

went to strines inn today. took us 40 minutes to get there only to discover that the food was poor. If your idea of sunday roast is a bit of pork, 3 roasties, few bits of undercooked veg and watery gravy, then this is the place to be! Oh yes and it was cold aswell. At £9 pp we didnt really expect this. The drive upto the pub is lovely, however thats about it. Marks out of ten......2, and thats for the scenery.

Nevermind the food, the place looks like something that needs knocking down. If Big Daddy and some other older wrestling guys were still alive, and had a meal, you would not be able to move cos its that small. The tables also move around on there own . . . with the ingrained grease living micro germs.

Plus, the phone signal is awful. Which could become a concern.

• 2 months later...

We had the misfortune to use this inn for Sunday lunch on Mothers day and reserved a table. We ordered the Sunday Roast x 4 (beef option) and at £9.00+/- per head expected a half-decent meal. What we didn’t expect was the tables to have been hurriedly wiped down with a less than clean cloth, (dried wipe marks), kids running about unteathered and unchecked by their parents, and a meal that would have been better served in a “all you can eat for £5 chav pub.”

The beef was chewy and over cooked, the vegetables served almost raw (note to chef!! Vegetables should actually be cooked in hot water and not just held under the hot tap for 10 seconds) One “Aunt Bessy” type Yorkshire pudding, four “Aunt Bessy” type roast potatoes which had obviously been re-heated as there was no potato inside the over-crisp shells…………….and that was it!

Still, the view was nice!:mad:

Nevermind the food, the place looks like something that needs knocking down. If Big Daddy and some other older wrestling guys were still alive, and had a meal, you would not be able to move cos its that small. The tables also move around on there own . . . with the ingrained grease living micro germs.

Plus, the phone signal is awful. Which could become a concern.

I find it interesting that all of these things that you criticise it for are the very things which I find add to the charm of the place. My girlfriend and I love going out to country inns for traditional pub-grub and The Strines is in our top three favourite places in the Peak District.

Yes it's small and crowded with a low ceiling, and yes the food isn't exactly gourmet, but then if that's what you want then maybe you should go and pay silly money for a tiny plate-full at a Michelin star restaurant.

I've never had a bad meal there and I always leave happier than I went in. I can't fault it and I hope they keep it exactly as it is.

We had the misfortune to use this inn for Sunday lunch on Mothers day and reserved a table. We ordered the Sunday Roast x 4 (beef option) and at £9.00+/- per head expected a half-decent meal. What we didn’t expect was the tables to have been hurriedly wiped down with a less than clean cloth, (dried wipe marks), kids running about unteathered and unchecked by their parents, and a meal that would have been better served in a “all you can eat for £5 chav pub.”

The beef was chewy and over cooked, the vegetables served almost raw (note to chef!! Vegetables should actually be cooked in hot water and not just held under the hot tap for 10 seconds) One “Aunt Bessy” type Yorkshire pudding, four “Aunt Bessy” type roast potatoes which had obviously been re-heated as there was no potato inside the over-crisp shells…………….and that was it!

Still, the view was nice!:mad:

We went on Mothers' Day too and the food was awful. We've been lots of times before and it's always been nice but my roast dinner was terrible too. As you say the beef was so chewy that I actually had toothache for half an hour afterwards. The roasties were horrible - it was as if they were reheated. And yes, the vegetables seem more than 'al dente'. I really should have complained but I felt mean as this had been booked for me by my daughter and my husband & I didn't want to upset them.

I'm very surprised to hear that children were running around as they used to have a paragraph on their menu explaining (in a nice way) that they wouldn't tolerate badly behaved children.

I find it interesting that all of these things that you criticise it for are the very things which I find add to the charm of the place. My girlfriend and I love going out to country inns for traditional pub-grub and The Strines is in our top three favourite places in the Peak District.

Yes it's small and crowded with a low ceiling, and yes the food isn't exactly gourmet, but then if that's what you want then maybe you should go and pay silly money for a tiny plate-full at a Michelin star restaurant.

I've never had a bad meal there and I always leave happier than I went in. I can't fault it and I hope they keep it exactly as it is.

I expected the food to be "not exactly Gormet" however, I did expect it to be better than it was (edible).....and with a bit of care and attention, it should have been. It was poor and certainly not "traditional pub-grub".....unless you think "traditional pub-grub" is straight out of a packet and defrosted food!

I think you need to get out more......alot more!!

Archived