Saturday Morning Cinema Serial Films

PopT

Does anyone remember the Saturday Morning Cinema Serial Films.

We were lucky living in Owlerton as we had so many to choose from but I guess we went to the Ritz and the Forum cinemas more than anywhere else.

What gems we watched, Flash Gordon, Tom Mix, Hopalong Cassidy, The Three Stooges, Popeye and a load of others but the list is too long to mention them all.

What memories do you have?

Happy Days!

We were lucky living in Owlerton as we had so many to choose from but I guess we went to the Ritz and the Forum cinemas more than anywhere else.

What gems we watched, Flash Gordon, Tom Mix, Hopalong Cassidy, The Three Stooges, Popeye and a load of others but the list is too long to mention them all.

Happy Days!

Hi Pop T,

We went to the Paragon at Firth Park,other choices Roxy Page Hall or Sunbeam at Fir Vale and a cinema that closed earlier than others the Victory on Upwell street remember Hopalong Cassidy and particularly Flash Gordon.

We used to go to the Paragon on a Saturday morning. If the film was a cowboy film we used to go home through Firth Park playing at cowboys and indians and trying to imitate what we had just watched. It took us ages to get home and we would be filthy by the time we got there. Our mum would shout at us and ask us why we had taken so long to get home, and then she would give us a clip round the earhole. But the following week we would be back again. Happy Days.

Happy Days!

Popt.. do you remember the bloke at the vritz who used to get on stage saturday mornings and sing whilst the kids were getting to their seats,he used to shout " lay them pistols down maam lay them pistols down?"

I remember the Saturday morning "Teenage Show" at the Gaumont in town. Whole rows of kids dressed as Teds getting up to go to the toilet and causing havoc. Woe betide anybody who took their seats. After the flicks they had live music acts. Any duff turns got booed off the stage. It was a pretty rough house. This would be 1959.

I was a regular at The Ritz in the early 60s.

My favourite serial was Captain Video. Bit like Flash Gordon, in that it had a sensible main man, and his sidekick seemed to be about 12 years old. Women were just decoration really.

I wonder what the word "Video" meant to us in those pre-VCR days?

The Forum was our destination on Saturdays in the 40s, rarely the Capitol, Lane Top.

Whatever, the programme was similar, short comedy, serial, cartoon, and a main feature. Sometimes you got a short Western.

Flash Gordon, yeah, but he got to old, now they just call him Gordon (Eric Morecombe).

I remember the opening titles with that terrible hokey spaceship, billowing clouds of vapour, appearing around a pointed mountain.

Buster Crabbe as Flash, an actress I think called Carol Hughes as Dale Arden, Flash's piece of squeeze, and Ming, with his chang 'tash. Nasty piece of work, that one.

And some of the stuff they got up to. Remember the Purple Death? And that chick with the 'poison pen'? The range of that thing was phenominal. It used to fire poison needles. Made that Bulgarian with the umbrella look like an amateur.

And what about the Claymen? Until 'Psycho', the music stayed with me for years. Us kids used to scare each other to death every time we went into Rutland Road quarry after seeing them.

The Forum was our destination on Saturdays in the 40s, rarely the Capitol, Lane Top.

Whatever, the programme was similar, short comedy, serial, cartoon, and a main feature. Sometimes you got a short Western.

Flash Gordon, yeah, but he got to old, now they just call him Gordon (Eric Morecombe).

I remember the opening titles with that terrible hokey spaceship, billowing clouds of vapour, appearing around a pointed mountain.

Buster Crabbe as Flash, an actress I think called Carol Hughes as Dale Arden, Flash's piece of squeeze, and Ming, with his chang 'tash. Nasty piece of work, that one.

And some of the stuff they got up to. Remember the Purple Death? And that chick with the 'poison pen'? The range of that thing was phenominal. It used to fire poison needles. Made that Bulgarian with the umbrella look like an amateur.

And what about the Claymen? Until 'Psycho', the music stayed with me for years. Us kids used to scare each other to death every time we went into Rutland Road quarry after seeing them.

Hi Texas,

I remember Flash Gordon and the trailer for the next week but very little of the content you must have a good photographic memory as you went 10 years or so before me.

It was the Rex at Intake for us. Marvel Man, The Little Rascals with Alf Alfa, Zoro, and a cowboy. Ice reams on a plastic stick, when you had eaten it there was a figure or statue thing on the end of the stick. It cost Nine pence to get in, in old money. Some kids used to take darts in and throw them at the baddies on the screen.

arrodbo

Yes I do remember him, he sang with such enthusiasm, I guess he was attempting to entertain us unruly lot.

I remember those Saturday mornings, they were great!

After we the Ritz we would set off home over the meadows near the Five Arches.

We would slap our backsides immitating the cowboys on the big screen riding home to reality in the backstreets of Owlerton.

Happy Days!

Archived