Electric bikes who's got one?

I rode one at the Doncaster Earth Centre bike day several years back. Also tried out some trikes, recumbents and even the Octos 7 seater.

The e-bike I tried was an MTB affair with the amazing Heinzmann power hub fitted to the front wheel.

It's tremendously good fun, and very quick. Because it powers the front wheel, the drive chain is unaffected, so you can choose to pedal as much or as little as you like. The more you pedal, the less work the motor does, and the longer the battery lasts.

One I would like to try is the Dolphin, which as a continuously variable gearing system and a second drive sprocket for the back wheel and power/cadence monitoring which continuously adjusts the power to the drive.

Cycling on one of these is meant to be like cycling on a travelator.

The good thing about Heinzmann hubs is that you can retro-fit them to your existing bike.

Unfortunately the law has changed somewhat regarding electric bikes, so the more esoteric power hubs, (high speed version, hill climbing version) are not legal for road use.

I've had a heinzmann power hub on the shopping list for quite a while now - they're not cheap...

I rode one at the Doncaster Earth Centre bike day several years back. Also tried out some trikes, recumbents and even the Octos 7 seater.

The e-bike I tried was an MTB affair with the amazing Heinzmann power hub fitted to the front wheel.

It's tremendously good fun, and very quick. Because it powers the front wheel, the drive chain is unaffected, so you can choose to pedal as much or as little as you like. The more you pedal, the less work the motor does, and the longer the battery lasts.

One I would like to try is the Dolphin, which as a continuously variable gearing system and a second drive sprocket for the back wheel and power/cadence monitoring which continuously adjusts the power to the drive.

The good thing about Heinzmann hubs is that you can retro-fit them to your existing bike.

Unfortunately the law has changed somewhat regarding electric bikes, so the more esoteric power hubs, (high speed version, hill climbing version) are not legal for road use.

I've had a heinzmann power hub on the shopping list for quite a while now - they're not cheap...

Thanks for that, so do you recomend them for everyday use or not?:)

• 3 years later...

How much is a heinzmann hubb? where can i get one/fitted?

• 6 months later...

My neighbour has one with rear wheel drive.

Coming back from a bit of off roading, we met in the street and got to chatting. He wasn't too keen on trying my racing MTB but let me try his electric. Wasn't too pleased when I did a wheelie half way down the street with it though.

Archived