People in History who interest you

Oliver Cromwell always fascinated me because of his brilliant military tactics.

very interesting, what were they?

I only know the pincer tactic (or scissor) was it in Kaiser Bill's time, where the opposing army was cut off, sandwiched diagonally or was that before then?

Going right back to the Stone age, Betty Rubble and Wilma Flintstone definitely interest me :love: :love:

Seriously, Sir Clive Sinclair for inventing the ZX81 and then the Spectrum way back in the late 70s/early 80s..

Going right back to the Stone age, Betty Rubble and Wilma Flintstone definitely interest me :love: :love:

Seriously, Sir Clive Sinclair for inventing the ZX81 and then the Spectrum way back in the late 70s/early 80s..

and the C5 :hihi:

Dozy

I am fascinated by the history of the maritime city-state of Ragusa - todays's Dubrovnik in Croatia. Founded by two ethnic groups who decided to unite and co-operate, it developed an unusual and sophisticated early form of democracy, with many very modern-seeming values, a prototype welfare state and an obsession with freedom, tolerance and culture. They abolished slavery in 1416. The city became legendary for its diplomatic skills, its commitment to peace and co-operation. It so valued education, the arts and sciences, and freedom of inquiry that it became a haven for persecuted talents from all disciplines. The really enchanting thing is that all that is still evident not only in the old architecture, but in the character of its people today - one of the reasons the 1991 seige was so condemned was precisely because of what the city had always represented. I love it. :love:

Edit: just noticed the thread title again and it said 'people in history'. Does a city count? I love it like a person, will that do?

Edit2: The Mitfords! Extraordinary!

Archived