People in History who interest you

Now what about Anthony ? :huh:

Which Anthony do you have in mind? the Cleopatra one? Up to a point that period is interesting, but I find the last part of the Roman Empire to be more interesting. I am resolving that I will read Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire one day (all 9 volumes or so of it!). :help:

Which Anthony do you have in mind? the Cleopatra one? Up to a point that period is interesting, but I find the last part of the Roman Empire to be more interesting. I am resolving that I will read Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire one day (all 9 volumes or so of it!). :help:

Come on you know which Anthony I mean .;)

Too many to name them all, though I agree about Alfred the Great (though he has only been called the Great from some time in the 17th century on). My own speciality when teaching was the Middle Ages, and the 12th century (with people like John of Salisbury, Henry II and Thomas Becket), and the 14th (with both Edward III and Richard II, Chaucer, Gower, and Langland) are the ones that interest me. But my more serious interest is in the late antique period, 5th/6th centuries, especially the Ostrogothic King Theoderic the Great and his times, the Emperor Justinian (and his much-maligned wife, Theodora) and the Roman philosopher Boethius, on whose work I have published some articles.

you should get together with Arthur Chappell who has published books especially poetry (of the erotic kind):o

arthur@chappell.7300.freeserve.co.uk

http://www.arthurchappell.clara.net/angel.meadow.htm

A fellow fan, it seems! :clap:

I must just say in relation to The Mitfords: I don't want people thinking I agree with them, admire or even like them :o it's just their megawatt eccentric over-achieving bonkersness that's so compelling!

They were certainly a very intriguing family, with buckets of charisma

StarSparkle

Have you seen that coin they found with her picture on? She looks a right munter! No wonder they always go on about her 'charisma'. :hihi:

The Egyptian Queen Nefertiti was the true beauty - absolutely flawless, going by the beautiful bust of her that was found

StarSparkle

One mustn't forget Henry VIII, and his six wives, cruel, tyrannic, egoist - who shaped our religious history, dissolving the monasteries, dispensing with papal authority and pretending it was for England when he wanted a male heir and wasn't averse to marrying several times in order to get one

Too many to name them all, though I agree about Alfred the Great (though he has only been called the Great from some time in the 17th century on). My own speciality when teaching was the Middle Ages, and the 12th century (with people like John of Salisbury, Henry II and Thomas Becket), and the 14th (with both Edward III and Richard II, Chaucer, Gower, and Langland) are the ones that interest me. But my more serious interest is in the late antique period, 5th/6th centuries, especially the Ostrogothic King Theoderic the Great and his times, the Emperor Justinian (and his much-maligned wife, Theodora) and the Roman philosopher Boethius, on whose work I have published some articles.

Can you imagine a dinner party with Alfred, Boethius, and Chaucer? I should die and go to Heaven.

Can you imagine a dinner party with Alfred, Boethius, and Chaucer? I should die and go to Heaven.

Yes I can, and most interesting it would be, because both Alfred and Chaucer translated Boethius' best known work, the Consolation of Philosophy!

:bigsmile:

Archived