Peaks b&b / inns / hotels: recommendations or suggestions?

Speedy_Jim

Hi folks,

I'm planning to book a weekend away from all the usual trouble at t' mill for this weekend. I'd like to get a room in a nice hotel, B&B, or inn/pub for me and someone who's a bit (a lot...), er, special :)

It doesn't have to be 5 star or anything silly. We'll be doing a lot of walking and talking, but it'd be nice to have a good restaurant nearby, or as part of the place. And of course it's got to be nice and clean. A bit romantic wouldn't hurt either, but I'm sure you folks don't want to hear about that ;)

We're flexible as to the location, but somewhere in the Sheffield end of the Peaks would be ideal. Although I've never explored Dove Dale...

Anyway, if any of you have any recommendations I'd love to hear them. If there's any places I should avoid that'd be helpful too. Bascially any pointers - good, bad, or indifferent - would be a great help as I've never (much to my shame after 11 years here) stayed over night in the Peaks other than the occasional camping trip.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

i know friends who have stayed at strines inn its very friendly and lovely-log fires , real ale , home cooking ,4 poster beds and it has ghost sightings to too, it has lots of round walks starting there to the phone number is 0114 285 1247.

not sure if they have a web site?

If they're full (was my first thought as well) then what about the Ladybower or the Yorkshire bridge?

Not stayed in either, but the food in both (not been to YB for a couple of years, but was at LadyB last weekend) is good.

Stayed at the yorkshire bridge a few times , chilled atmos ,good food, range of rooms some have 4 poster beds , 2 mins walk from laybower reservoir

castle hotel at castleton also good food , never stayed there but friends have gven glowing reports they also have 4 posters and spa baths

We recently checked out lots of Peak accomodation in order to recommend to relatives staying near Sheffield.

One that I thought looked cool is the relatively recently refurbished Fox House pub on the Hathersage Road.

It's pretty well placed, near the Peak, Longshaw and all that as well as only a few miles from the city.

The Fox House food is pretty good but you are also only a short walk from the legendary Grindleford Caf - just turn your mobile off, don't sit infront of the fire, ask for a variation to the cooked breakfast or expect black coffee without ordering it as such. If you don't know what I am on about, you definately need to visit!

They offer on-line bookings. Contact them on

The Fox House Inn, Hathersage Road, Longshaw,

Sheffield, South Yorkshire S11

01433 630374

Thanks for the help peeps. It turned out to be a little harder than expected to book a place at such short notice.

In the end I took a chance on a place I'd never heard of - Lose Hill Hotel, just up the Vale of Edale from Hope.

And it was very nice :). Lovely room, fantastic view, decent food and wine, good facilities (pool, sauna, hottub outside but that wasn't available last weekend). It's been recently done out and is fairly modern - not quaint at all really. But I'd certainly recommend it if you can live without roaring log fires and 4 poster beds.

It's not exactly cheap - £100 a night for a double room with big bathroom, view, etc etc at the weekend. Dinner for 2 (as much as you can eat carvery + cheese + desert + a decent bottle of red) was £48

Overall a flippin good weekend away and money well spent

Archived