Old radio prog Sing Something simple

Everytime I heard 'Sing Something Simple' on the wireless as a child on 'boring Sunday' when nothing happened, I used to get out of the house as quickly as possible because it used to make me feel depressed! Mind you, now I'm all grown up, I feel very nostalgic when I think of the tune!

Reminds me of returning home from coach trips to places like Trentham Gardens and Bolton Abbey in the 1970s - always had this on the radio on the way back. I think it came on at 7pm, usually after the top 20 chart show. I think that normally Radio 1 was only on medium wave at that time, apart from one hour on Sunday evenings when it shared FM with Radio 2 for the top twenty.

"Sing something simple, as cares go by, sing something simple, just you and I / we'll sing all the old songs like we (they ?) used to do, we'll sing something simple for you / something for youuuuuuu'. Dreadful. Sad knowing the lyrics.

I'm pretty sure that United "adapted" the words in the 70s as well - "Sing something simple you simple t***s", usually aimed at the away supporters at the Lane.

Reminds me of returning home from coach trips to places like Trentham Gardens and Bolton Abbey in the 1970s - always had this on the radio on the way back. I think it came on at 7pm, usually after the top 20 chart show. I think that normally Radio 1 was only on medium wave at that time, apart from one hour on Sunday evenings when it shared FM with Radio 2 for the top twenty.

"Sing something simple, as cares go by, sing something simple, just you and I / we'll sing all the old songs like we (they ?) used to do, we'll sing something simple for you / something for youuuuuuu'. Dreadful. Sad knowing the lyrics.

I'm pretty sure that United "adapted" the words in the 70s as well - "Sing something simple you simple t***s", usually aimed at the away supporters at the Lane.

Coo! Reading the lyrics brings a tear to my eye, a lump to my throat - oh, and I also feel a little depressed and poorly! :rolleyes:

Sing Something Simple brings back so many memories. In the late 60s, just after we were married and before we left Sheffield, my parents used to take my husband and me to the George at Hathersage for a meal on Sunday evenings and on the way there, driving via the Surprise, we always listened to Sing Something Simple in the car which must at that time have been broadcast around 6.30 to 7.00. When Cliff Adams died and the programme finished, I bought a series of CDs and we still occasionally listen to them. The theme tune brings instant nostalgia.

Sorry I have duplicated this on Entertainment and here but there are a lot of old radio racks on here to.

Sing Something Simple was a successfull radio show from 1959 to 2000 and I brought the format back to radio last summer for a ten week run on Sheffield Live.

It is to return this summer but meanwhile I have done a podcast of the show I put together last summer for its return.

Its name has been changed due to copyrights but the format is the same.

Cliff Adams supply the vocals along with Jack Emblow on the accordian.

Listen to the 30 minute show and I promise you will finish up singing a long.

Note the old fashioned microphone outro at the end.

http://www.canstream.co.uk/sheffieldlive

Paul

zThe signature tune makes me remember my mum doing the ironing with the iron plugged in to the light socket in the kitchen, keeping warm by the "back to back" after a bath on a sunday evening....blissfull memories!

• 1 month later...

Archived