National service

I read your posts with interest Bassman62. When you say that George Wood and Doug Mannifield as student bandmasters, had ''their own regimental bands'', what does that mean exactly? Were they like bands within a band or were they a set up whereby participants were learning the business of conducting;rehearsing;leading etc;etc;

I realise that Kneller Hall was and is the best music school one could wish to be associated with, bar none.

After all these years I never thought I would be envious of Georgie Wood.

And incidentally. Do you still play.

I read your posts with interest Bassman62. When you say that George Wood and Doug Mannifield as student bandmasters, had ''their own regimental bands'', what does that mean exactly? Were they like bands within a band or were they a set up whereby participants were learning the business of conducting;rehearsing;leading etc;etc;

I realise that Kneller Hall was and is the best music school one could wish to be associated with, bar none.

After all these years I never thought I would be envious of Georgie Wood.

And incidentally. Do you still play.

By their own bands I meant that after completion of the 3 year Student Bandmasters Course you then became Bandmaster at the next available Regimental Band with the effective rank of WO1, this was the biggest rank jump in HM Forces where you could go from Bandsman (Private) to Bandmaster (WO1) in one step, I was on the pupil Bansdmans course for Saxophone which was very intense and lasted for one year. I no longer play Saxophone but I still play Bass guitar in Rock and Blues bands

At the time of my national service with the York & Lancaster Regt, 53-55 the commanding officer was a Lt. Colonel John Prendegast. He seemed to have very little contact with the other ranks, he was severely overweight and to the best of my memory did not command very much respect. Nobody seemed to know much about him at that time apart from him serving in India. Well the other day I happened to google his name and guess what. It appears that the guy was something of a hero with a very distinguished military career and I'm pleased to say that even though it is over 50 years later I'm happy to have learned the truth about the man. Click on the following website.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/obituaries/article3856880.ece

At the time of my national service with the York & Lancaster Regt, 53-55 the commanding officer was a Lt. Colonel John Prendegast. He seemed to have very little contact with the other ranks, he was severely overweight and to the best of my memory did not command very much respect. Nobody seemed to know much about him at that time apart from him serving in India. Well the other day I happened to google his name and guess what. It appears that the guy was something of a hero with a very distinguished military career and I'm pleased to say that even though it is over 50 years ago I'm happy to have learned the truth about the man. Click on the following website.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/obituaries/article3856880.ece

Overseas some of the 2nd Lt. officers were National Service and acted OK with you, but I suppose they had to walk the walk and talk the talk, so most of them were a little standoffish. Unlike in basic training, I found the Sergeants who were regulars, usually OK, in fact one guy who was from Sheffield really decent and tried to make life a little easy for you. I did'nt understand the likes of the career type officers and most of their thinking, consequently, most of them I did'nt like. We used to hear of all kinds of shenanigans going on in the officers mess where it seemed to be party time on most occasions, just how much of that can a person stand, I think that alone would screw a young officer up, how much booze is too much. Our own Capt. Mallin, at one point, was sporting the evidence of a severe beating from a higher ranking officer. Apparently there had been a disagreement and they had decided to duke it out in the ring, he got the worst of it. (The Major or whatever his rank was, had been a ex Army boxing champion. On his command they erected a ring and turned the whole camp into a boxing tournament, where everybody had to fight.) The contest is another story, it created all kinds of problems with people getting hurt and some even writing the Army authorities. We had a 16/5th (Lancers?) Capt. now transferred to Signals, who would'nt get out of his bed unless the batman brought him his tea, even if on manoeuvres or not, he was a pathetic individual with many other stories circulating about him. We had an Adjutant who would 'charge' you at the drop of a hat, literally. If you were not anticipating his every move and saluting him all the time, he would scream at you 'do you know who I am.' If anybody remembers the movie 'The Robe' where Jay (somebody or other ?) is playing the Emperor and screaming 'I am a god, I am a god you know,' this Adjutant looked and sounded like him. I don't think any of these characters or situations would exist in todays Military, they would'nt stand for it.

I agree with "Fleetwood"for the most part a mixed bunch fm the fine officers that I saw a lot of, my C.O taking the time to find me on the day i was leaving after 3 years in Libya thank me and shake my hand, to the low life scum that hung around the wireless op training in Richmond::|:|:|

It seems quite a few conscripts (and some 3yr guys) from Sheffield landed up in the 'Signals' and started Army life at 'Catterick.' How many recall the 36hr and 48hr passes at weekends on 'Sunters Chara's' from Northallerton or Darlington (can't remember which town.) They were really nice luxury coaches and would drop you off and pick you up at Pond St.

It seems quite a few conscripts (and some 3yr guys) from Sheffield landed up in the 'Signals' and started Army life at 'Catterick.' How many recall the 36hr and 48hr passes at weekends on 'Sunters Chara's' from Northallerton or Darlington (can't remember which town.) They were really nice luxury coaches and would drop you off and pick you up at Pond St.

signed on for 5&7in 1950 so some names are getting a little hazy so was it Richmond we use to go down to the greasy spoon and flirt with the owners daughter over a egg & chips and play the juke box arr fond memory's :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: