National service

And it came to mind on another thread this old gent would recite endless saga's that came fm the Boer war camps and slit trench's of the great war but what was remarkable that he would recite for an hour and never swear once, even story's of Little Nell who by the army 50s was full of filth was devoid of all swear words in its original form, and don't get me wrong after 3 yrs in Libya (no woman)I had developed a semi permanent stutter to try stop myself fm F F F in every sentence ,and of course in the 50s no-one but the very low would swear in front of a Lady

No, the 'Medloc' I mean was the railway service across Europe to get army personel back to the UK. I remember a lot of the old soldiers in the Middle East talked about it, those that had been stationed at some time or other in Europe that is. It was running until about '55 I think.

No, the 'Medloc' I mean was the railway service across Europe to get army personel back to the UK. I remember a lot of the old soldiers in the Middle East talked about it, those that had been stationed at some time or other in Europe that is. It was running until about '55 I think.

Yes I think my brother went on that.I am sure he went through Austria & Trieste on his way to Cyprus.

Yes I think my brother went on that.I am sure he went through Austria & Trieste on his way to Cyprus.

Now that strike's a note, what was the problem between the British over Trieste in the early 50s all I know is we were not allowed out of the airport at Rome for 2 days and still don't know what Trieste is or was:confused::confused::confused:

I seem to recollect the Train Service but don't recall the name 'Medloc', did'nt the 'Orient Express' somewhat follow the same journey? There's mention of Trieste on the Thread, after world war2 I seem to think Trieste became an area of Counter Intelligence and espionage and if my memory serves me right was'nt it a posting for some 'Signal' guys also?

I seem to recollect the Train Service but don't recall the name 'Medloc', did'nt the 'Orient Express' somewhat follow the same journey? There's mention of Trieste on the Thread, after world war2 I seem to think Trieste became an area of Counter Intelligence and espionage and if my memory serves me right was'nt it a posting for some 'Signal' guys also?

the Germans were masters at reading key messages in code or not, troop movements were plotted this way, so special sigs post war trained to send fake messages almost signing your name then only the truck was moved suppose to confuse the enemy but I don't think the Ruski were that smart,all our tanks & trucks air filled rubber under a net

Trieste is near the point where the former Yugoslavia ,Austria and Italy meet.

I have a friend who was in a refugee camp in Trieste late 40s early 50s.

He came from Albania.

I visited on holiday about 64 and it was a sleepy seaport that was trying to develop tourism