National service

after the war and up to the 50s Libya was in one hell of a mess it needed a strong tribe king to hold them all together, we worked along side the Sunusi (the kings tribe) and never had any problems with any one, I met the king with a bunch of his ministers while on D.R duty and they was all super polite to a common signal D.R. met him on the road (in his convoy)many times, had to stop and give a salute and always got a smile and wave back,another thing one as to remember was the outside influence going on for yrs ,It was believed Kadafi was advice plus from Moscow:|:|:|

1955 we were doing lots of field work with the new-ish beamed radio, two little saucer on a tripod ,working across the bay near Christchurch they was always good for picking up the girls after we told them we were talking to a submarine out at sea (good chat line) but whatever works right, you must remember I'd not seen a girl in 3 years so I needed lots of help

• 2 months later...

You army trained radio operators of 'National Service' vintage, assuming you took 'Morse' training or 'CW' as it was called. Have you forgot the code or do the Di Da Dit (Roger) and the Da Di Da Dit (Charlie) still run around your brain? Needless to say I hav'nt forgot, I could still send a shaky message but receiving might be another thing. It's my understanding they stopped using it as a method of communication years ago but some Ham Radio still require it to get the licence. Again the internet must have changed everything like that big time.

You army trained radio operators of 'National Service' vintage, assuming you took 'Morse' training or 'CW' as it was called. Have you forgot the code or do the Di Da Dit (Roger) and the Da Di Da Dit (Charlie) still run around your brain? Needless to say I hav'nt forgot, I could still send a shaky message but receiving might be another thing. It's my understanding they stopped using it as a method of communication years ago but some Ham Radio still require it to get the licence. Again the internet must have changed everything like that big time.
I believe that it's been dropped from class A Ham Licence, I only got as far as B licence G1 VET.

I believe that it's been dropped from class A Ham Licence, I only got as far as B licence G1 VET.

I was a very poor wireless op in fact quite useless but I made a fine D.R just riding around on my own only rarely answering to anyone,but must admit to doing all sort of things that could have got me locked away for a very long time.:D:D:D

I was a very poor wireless op in fact quite useless but I made a fine D.R just riding around on my own only rarely answering to anyone,but must admit to doing all sort of things that could have got me locked away for a very long time.:D:D:D
Nearly as good a job as mine (Bandsman).:thumbsup:

I went in the Signals, July 1951. I've got to say, I had a great time. Learned a lot about people, got to travel, the experience colored my life completely. Loved it.

I was in the Signals too Texas but in the 60s, I was in the W.R.A.C. never got the chance to be stationed overseas though, mostly down the South of England.

Sorry...I forgot this was about the NS.

Where were you stationed Poppins, Guildford obviously but where after that. I was a Radio tech on the army wireless chain at Pirbright and Andover. I was also stationed in Hounslow getting the comms. ready for the Coronation where there were many WRACs mainly drivers.

Nearly as good a job as mine (Bandsman).:thumbsup:

after my 3odd years in Libya I spent the last 18 months at Christchurch Signals research &development I seem to think that was also a bit of a soft posting all R&R:thumbsup::thumbsup: