National service

Reference my earlier photos and here is a couple of new ones

These guys were all from Sheffield and surrounding area, I recall Rotheram and Dinnington for sure, don't remember the other towns.

4-5-200951336PM.jpg

I am going to start this all over again, am having trouble with photo bucket, and they said it was easy

Edited by fleetwood

Back row - Jack Bramall, George Barnns and Ron Palmer (George and Ron both worked for GPO, George was also a good artist) Front row - Dick Seymour and John Agar (Dick was a 3yr Reg and the only person I saw again when he came home on leave, I believe he went to Australia, John was a DR in the Sigs.

5-10-200915133PM.jpg

I submitted this photo before, its just showing Sheffield and area guys. The only areas I recall are Rotherham and Dinnington.

5-10-200923352PM.jpg

Does this look serious or what!!!!!!!

5-10-200923703PM.jpg

I apologize for the size of the pictures, I found at least if you click twice you get a slightly larger image. I tell you between photobucket and fotoflexer it's a nightmare trying to do any of this stuff.

I joined the York & lancaster Regt in 1959 the back end of National service days.The York & Lancs then disbanded in 1968 . I then was transfered to the Duke of Wellingtons Regt.I left the Army in 1983.

My father was in the Duke of Wellington regt served in Korea & still attends meetings for Dukes & korean veterans !

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Texas - Did you have to report to the TA when you completed your NS. I know at the time when we were in, it was still a requirement to do so? You had to attend so many parades and do an annual camp (1week or 2week cannot remember exactly.) Reason i'm asking, figuring we were in the Sigs around the same time and the Sigs TA centre was on Barnsley Rd, we may have rubbed shoulders. I did one camp for sure at Otley near Leeds, cannot recall if I did another one though. I did'nt want any of it when I finished NS, but my dad made me go saying he did'nt want the police knocking on the door looking for me, i'm not sure if that would have happened as the TA seemed to be a real 'hit and miss' affair and poorly run. The officers were reliving past glories and still playing 'silly beggars'.

I joined the York & lancaster Regt in 1959 the back end of National service days.The York & Lancs then disbanded in 1968 . I then was transfered to the Duke of Wellingtons Regt.I left the Army in 1983.
I was in 1Y&L (regimental band) and took part in the disbanding parades.

Hi Texas - Did you have to report to the TA when you completed your NS. I know at the time when we were in, it was still a requirement to do so? You had to attend so many parades and do an annual camp (1week or 2week cannot remember exactly.) Reason i'm asking, figuring we were in the Sigs around the same time and the Sigs TA centre was on Barnsley Rd, we may have rubbed shoulders. I did one camp for sure at Otley near Leeds, cannot recall if I did another one though. I did'nt want any of it when I finished NS, but my dad made me go saying he did'nt want the police knocking on the door looking for me, i'm not sure if that would have happened as the TA seemed to be a real 'hit and miss' affair and poorly run. The officers were reliving past glories and still playing 'silly beggars'.

No, fleets, I was given a choice. I could've done TA or Supplementry Reserve. I chose the latter and only did one camp. At Liss in Hampshire, with the Royal Engineers. It was strange really because when I originally registered for National Service, I asked to go into the Engineers because at that time I worked on the railway. So what do the powers that be do? Send me there when I was coming out the Army. Liss was where the Military Railway was.