National service

• 1 month later...

Does anybody remember an accident that happened around Catterick Camp approx 1950? I was there late '51 to early '52 but cannot remember if this happened before I got there, during or after this time period. *** What little I recall of the incident, was, some squaddies were marching in some kind of formation at night time, when a truck ran into them from behind (I think), I believe there were many resulting deaths and injuries but cannot remember the exact number or if they were R.Sigs personnel. *** A subsequent inquiry initiated some changes, like recommending lights back and front when marching at night, also the formation. *** Whether heads rolled on this preventable accident I don't know, but they should have. *** Again, if anybody has anymore facts on this I would appreciate a post!

Hello fleets, how ya' doin'? So what information have you got? Personally, I never heard of anything as serious as that. I wouldn't have thought it would've involved the Signals though, we only did one route march during my basic and trade training and that was nothing. The PTI's did a lot of shouting and bawling just to show they were in charge. In fact, I always fancied being a PTI,with all that shouting and stuff.

I learned something today. The media have got all this sh** in the papers about President Obama being slightly anti- English, owing to some relative having a bad time at the hands of the British Forces in Kenya in the 50's. Well I don't know anything about that, but I did find out that that the Africans we worked with in Egypt were from the Luo and Wakamba tribes, NOT Juluwa and Mokamba has previously stated. It's all in the phonetics, dig it?

Hi Tex - Thanks for replying, I don't know much more than I have already mentioned, it did happen (and not some kinda bad dream). *** It is just one of those things that have stuck with me for a very long time, I have tried to Google this but only seem to get a few individual accidents and war related stuff!

I joined the navy as a regular in 1949. We didn't have many conscripts in the service. However I was training in aircraft radio and radar at RNAS Worthy Down near Winchester, where we had a conscript whose father was a steel mill owner from Scunthorpe. He had been offered a commission as long as he stayed in for three years, which he refused. He had a pilots license, and would fly his Gemini twin up and down from the airfield to Lincolnshire every weekend. The officers didn't like it because he was a lowly able seaman rank, but we loved it. Another one had a giant Armstrong Siddeley, which the officers tried to get banned because it put their puny Fords and Hillmans to shame. The Armed Forces are run by Senior NCOs, no matter what Junior officers say. Flag officers know it.

Edited by buck

For a moment there, I thought you meant an Armstrong Siddeley aircraft. Interesting the 'mavericks', during National Service. We had a couple or so at 3GHQ, MELF. Peter Chambers, son of a military bigshot, boy soldier, refused a commision, up and down the ranks like you wouldn't believe. When he smiled or laughed it was enough to give you nightmares. Fortunately it wasn't very often.

Another one, son of a woolen mill owner. No names, no pack drill, played for the other team. He was in charge or our tent, being a corporal, occasionaly he would have his boyfriend in bed for the night. I don't know if any of the other lads heard them but nothing was ever said. He had been in OTC.

A guy called Kingdon or Kingham, he was a real sloppy piece of work, a Cipher corporal. I was working on docks job in Southampton back in the late 60's, all these vans on a dockside, victualling the Oriana, they were his. And it all came home because I could remember him saying one time, back in Egypt, that he'd been in catering before his National Service call up, and hated it.

I feel like Danny de Vito in 'LA Confidential' now.

• 3 weeks later...

Not much action on any of the 'Threads' these days, everybody must be in a holiday mode! - When I was in my trade training at Catterick for wireless op B3, I think that might have been 6TR (?), it became evident that we had a 'gay' guy in our barracks, he seemed a rather flamboyant character who was not afraid to flaunt his sexuality and lifestyle. *** As we all know in those days the word 'gay' was'nt used and it goes without saying we all remember the words that probably were used to describe such a person, but given all of this, I don't remember anybody ridiculing or making life difficult for him, on the contrary, he had a way with words that could cut you if given half the chance. *** He came from Birmingham and he was an actor, when we were in the process of finishing our radio courses and going through all the parades and everything (did'nt they call it 'a passing out parade?'), he became somewhat of a hot potato with senior NCO's all the way to a higher command, trying to tell him to march in a more appropriate and 'manly' fashion, with this he quickly asked them 'what were they implying?' and wished to take this matter further to a higher authority. *** I suppose the old adage 'the best defence, is a good offence' worked, because they became all apologetic and said they were not insinuating anything and he could march anyway he saw fit. *** Our friend went to Egypt but not with us, I believe he was posted somewhere in the Fayed region, although we had a Manchester guy who was trying to break into acting stationed with us, who remained a friend of his. *** I do remember the Brummie guys name and I believe he made a career for himself as an actor, I recall seeing him many years later in a British TV mini series!

Edited by fleetwood
Corrections and Additions.

When Fleetwood mentioned passing out parades it reminded me of ours at 2TR. There we were, PL18, right at the back of the whole parade. Corporal Aiganhead, who was in charge of us, had lost his voice, couldn't shout and report on our status. During a lull in the proceedings he told me to 'fall out' and report to the R.S.M. that PL18 was 'all present and correct' and give apologies about him losing his voice. I was a smart little ******* wasn't I. I had to quick march almost the length of the square, passing the podium on which was some big deal Commanding Officer wearing more fruit salad than I'd ever seen, throwing up a salute, 'en passant', and giving the message to the R.S.M. I remember almost saluting him, but all he whispered was 'Go back, and this time go the long way round, dont go past the General again.'