National service

I will set the scene. Credden Hill RAF camp Hereford 1953 September. Square bashing , the first hair cut. We had a Gypsy in our squad, thick black hair of which he was very proud. The barbers don't take prisoners and the a fore said barber proceeded to demolish AC2 Swan's crowning glory. I don't think he ever recovered

• 1 year later...

There is an older 'NS' thread and I haven't been on in a long time and it didn't show up, so I will try again. I hope the interest is still out there, anyway here goes. When in the service a word that used to come up a lot was 'Grip' or 'Gripping', the word as I remember it, meant you might be extoling or exaggerating a truth or situation to suit your own benefit or story, ie to make a scenario more dire or dangerous or even clever than it really was. If you were trying this out on people or possibly new recruits you had never met before, your friends if they were around and they usually were, at this point, were winking at one another and giving the grip sign.

Kitted out at Padgate,square bashed at Hereford, trade training at Henlow,worked on Super fortresses at Conningsby and Marham.

Fred Truman in the next hut when I was at Hereford. We had some good times in the RAF

Have just read a book about National Service,one chapter describes one lad arriving at camp to do his 2 years with a guitar ,the sergeant asked him what the guitar was for and the lad replied 'to pass the time away in the evenings.

There is an older 'NS' thread and I haven't been on in a long time and it didn't show up, so I will try again. I hope the interest is still out there, anyway here goes. When in the service a word that used to come up a lot was 'Grip' or 'Gripping', the word as I remember it, meant you might be extoling or exaggerating a truth or situation to suit your own benefit or story, ie to make a scenario more dire or dangerous or even clever than it really was. If you were trying this out on people or possibly new recruits you had never met before, your friends if they were around and they usually were, at this point, were winking at one another and giving the grip sign.

been over 2yrs in Libya black as the ace of spades when GRIPPING a lilly white newbie with my tall tales thought i had him but after he went to my mate and said cant that W^g over there speak bloody good english:mad::mad:

This is to all you ex MT geezers. Am I right in thinking that the big truck we had in the Army was a 3 Tonner? I think I am. What got me thinking about this was a discussion I had with a motor freak. Was the '3 tonner' label the actual weight of the truck or was it the loading capacity?

I remember reading somewhere that the equivalent truck in the US Army was only 2 and a half tonner.

Fleetwood will be pleased to see this thread making an appearance again.

This is to all you ex MT geezers. Am I right in thinking that the big truck we had in the Army was a 3 Tonner? I think I am. What got me thinking about this was a discussion I had with a motor freak. Was the '3 tonner' label the actual weight of the truck or was it the loading capacity?

I remember reading somewhere that the equivalent truck in the US Army was only 2 and a half tonner.

Fleetwood will be pleased to see this thread making an appearance again.

I'm pretty sure the 3 tonners could carry 3 ton if need be, ours was always half empty now having said that we also had a 19ton armoured that did in fact weigh that much so take your pick:confused::confused: