Is reasonable force reasonable?

but if need be your life or your family,s life

I think that's a little excessive. I think there are very few 'common or garden' burglars who would resort to violence to commission a standrad burlgary. It just isn't worth it for the amount they will get for the property they could steal from you.

Unless you have something especially valuable,. that is maybe being stolen to order in a much more organised fashion, a tenner for a stolen dvd player is not worth the risks associated with violence. I would put money on the majority of burglars running rather than standing and fighting.

Of course, any level of desparation which has necessitated the crime would affect this, but I reckon those sorts of offences are rare, and most burglaries are committed by 'professioal, or career criminals - they commit crime like you or I go to work - so the possuible sentences for violence would outweigh what they are likely to get for burglary, so the risk is higher, in addition to the risks of them being hurt, so they will run.

I'm not sure we are allowed to attack people even if we have good reason and I need to ask you for your source ..........

Crown Prosecution Service Guidance:

A person may use such force as is reasonable in the circumstances for the purposes of:

• self-defence; or
  • defence of another; or
  • defence of property; or
  • prevention of crime; or
  • lawful arrest.

http://cps.gov.uk

I'll take that as as meaning you're unable or unwilling to argue your ridiculous assertion that shooting burgalrs would lead to a 90% reduction in crime then.

IT IS ISN'T IT??? Multiple accounts eh?? :D

And obviously, if we shot all criminals, then the crime rate would go down wouldn't it?

Or can't you work that bit out? :loopy:

IT IS ISN'T IT??? Multiple accounts eh?? :D

And obviously, if we shot all criminals, then the crime rate would go down wouldn't it?

Or can't you work that bit out? :loopy:

Shooting all criminals would be murder and therefore, assuming it was done on an individual basis, there'd be thousands of murders occurring. So, no, the crimerate would take a rather sudden jump upwards.

Shooting all criminals would be murder and therefore, assuming it was done on an individual basis, there'd be thousands of murders occurring. So, no, the crimerate would take a rather sudden jump upwards.

It wouldn't be murder though if it were legal to shoot burglars would it?

dark moomin i know where your coming from but the burgular that is now doin the rounds are mostly smack heads feeding an habit & they will resort to owt, oaps are getting mugged for a few quid beat up killed tortured wedding rings tore of fingers, house,s ransacked

It wouldn't be murder though if it were legal to shoot burglars would it?

It isn't legal to shoot burglars, nor is it ever likely to be.

Maybe you ought to try going and living in Texas if you're so keen on shooting people, I gather they're quite fond of that sort of thing over there (although contrary to your idea, they stil have plenty of burglars.)

Or maybe Sharia Law would suit you better, you could try one of the countries where they cut thieve's hands off.

Personally, as a supporter of the British legal system, flawed as it is, I'll go with the law as it stands.

I think we should assume that most burglaries are not a "one off". The amount of burglars who ask for other times to be taken into consideration belies that point.

So, if we DO take it as murder, it would be one murder but a lot less burglaries. So, crimerate would take a downward turn.

EDIT- Sorry,once again being pedantic above.

P.S when I caught a thief in my car, I jumped on him and held him there by "reasonable force". The police told me I should have given him a "proper" kicking!

Archived