Is reasonable force reasonable?

I learnt on a course about managing violence and agression that if you are in bed and an intruder comes into your home, you shouldn't even go downstairs to confront them, as it is deemed that they have not approached or threatened you, and you had no need to defend yourself.

Anyone who does confront someone in this way should tell the police that they heard a noise and thought it was the cat scratching to go out and was surprised to find an intruder in their home. That way you are not admitting to going to confront the intruder and reduce your risk of being chrged with assault if a scuffle breaks out.

complete nonsense. You can use reasonable force to defend your property and you are quite at liberty to use force to eject a trespasser.

complete nonsense. You can use reasonable force to defend your property and you are quite at liberty to use force to eject a trespasser.

Are you sure? my tutor seemed pretty sure of his facts. Can you back your statement up?

I have spent the last 6 months studying under a great martial arts / self defence teacher and although we learn many techniques (including ones that were have been warned could proove fatal) we are taught that in a violent situation you do only enough to defend yourself and get out of that situation quickly, which technically means hitting someone hard enough they either don't get back up or at least think twice about getting back up. If they don't come back at you then there's no point throwing more kicks / punches.

If they don't come back at you then there's no point throwing more kicks / punches.

I think that pretty much sums up reasonable force to me....hit 'em till they are no longer a threat (either through their retreating or being incapacitated).

I think that pretty much sums up reasonable force to me....hit 'em till they are no longer a threat (either through their retreating or being incapacitated).

But incapacitated for how long? I have seen many a "beaten" man come back and gain the upper hand. First man down does not always mean last man down.

If someone broke into my house then I would assume them to be armed and dangerous. I would also assume there was every chance they had an accomplice to back them up. As such I would look to quickly swing things in my favour by using the maximum amount of force, and the most deadly weapon available, to take them out... and I would make absolutely sure they were taken out. Nobody should increase the risk to themselves by giving such a person the benefit of the doubt or a "sporting chance".

But incapacitated for how long? I have seen many a "beaten" man come back and gain the upper hand. First man down does not always mean last man down.

If someone broke into my house then I would assume them to be armed and dangerous. I would also assume there was every chance they had an accomplice to back them up. As such I would look to quickly swing things in my favour by using the maximum amount of force, and the most deadly weapon available, to take them out... and I would make absolutely sure they were taken out. Nobody should increase the risk to themselves by giving such a person the benefit of the doubt or a "sporting chance".

First of all, how long do you want him to be down and out? Isn't it sufficient that the threat has been removed and you can carry on your way? If it is in your home then you can restrain him and call the police. You don't have to beat them within an inch of their life, and if you do a good lawyer will have you in prison before you can say "Jack Robinson" and rightly so because you have overstepped the mark

First of all, how long do you want him to be down and out? Isn't it sufficient that the threat has been removed and you can carry on your way? If it is in your home then you can restrain him and call the police. You don't have to beat them within an inch of their life, and if you do a good layer will have you in prison before you can say "Jack Robinson" and rightly so because you have overstepped the mark

Restraining someone is a lot easier said then done, especially when the person has a lot to lose if they don't get away, especially when it may be a considerable time before anyone comes to your assistance, especially if you are having to call for assistance at the same time as restraining them and, most of all, if assistance comes to their aid before it comes to yours.

Restraining someone is a lot easier said then done,

'tis true. But once you have taken away his will to fight he will (hopefully) be keen on leaving the scene. I would've thought most intruders would prefer to avoid fisticuffs, get in, get out.

homeowners actually owe a duty of care to trespassers to ensure they do not come to any harm.... if there is a hazard on your property you might reasonably be expected to offer some protection.

:huh:

Is it just me that finds this ridiculus?

Archived