Is reasonable force reasonable?

Got rather off topic here, but saxon51 declined to comment (his views on another thread are why I started this one). But no one really supports the view of 'you should be able to knock them down and then kick them repeatedly in the head', as far as I can see.

Got rather off topic here, but saxon51 declined to comment (his views on another thread are why I started this one). But no one really supports the view of 'you should be able to knock them down and then kick them repeatedly in the head', as far as I can see.

I think a lot of people would like to take the law into their own hands and meet out the punishment, it provides instant justice and with a bit of luck they won't be back again and they may even stop whatever it is they were doing? Job sorted.

It is just that speaking for myself, I was thinking about the legal aspect which seems to be at odds with peoples gut feelings.

I think a lot of people would like to take the law into their own hands and meet out the punishment, it provides instant justice and with a bit of luck they won't be back again and they may even stop whatever it is they were doing? Job sorted.

It is just that speaking for myself, I was thinking about the legal aspect which seems to be at odds with peoples gut feelings.

I think you're correct Grahame, in that a lot of would like to take the law into their own hands - but it's my view that to tolerate, or actively encourage that stance (as some on here appear to do) is a very dangerous and irresponsible thing to do. Not only is it incompatible with being a law - abiding citizen, but it can and does go spectacularly wrong and in the end vigilante 'justice' merely adds to the sum total of human misery.

I can't help but wonder how some of the enthusiastic supporters of the 'giving the scrotes a good kicking' camp would feel if they were to put their ideas into practice and ended up killing someone.

I daresay there'll be those who'll say '' No problem, they deserved it'', but I'm damned sure they'd feel differently if someone dies at their hands. (Or feet, for those who like the idea of kicking people when they're on the floor.)

being that "you" know how to defend yourself expertly, you know how to disarm and injure expertly, and are trained in the art of self defence.

so if a youth - who you calculated you could disarm with your skill threatened you and you pre empted his attack, would that not be unreasonable if not unnecessary force.

as you are the expert ,and the attack would be unfairly weighted in your favour.

it could be viewed that way from a jury standpoint - you've almost "taken a gun to a knife fight".

From my view, anyone should be entitled to defend themselves. Training or not.

As for the attack being unfairly weighted, quite frankly I find that laughable. NO training method makes you indistructable, but the training does help you understand that your not indistructable.

The view you have presented here that someone training in a fighting art/sport has an unfair advantage is one (of many) reason(s) I have gone out of my way to avoid fights when many other blokes would have gone for it.

Not because I feel I have a particularly strong advantage in a fight, but that an uneducated jury/court would take the same view as you present here resulting in me getting the prosecution instead of the aggressor.

I always wondered why that farmer Martin who was jailed for killin g one of two intruders, didn't shoot the man in the leg or foot, it seemed to others that he really had reached the end his patience as these yobs kept returning and he wanted to make sure they didn't

Try reading post #35 of that thread again. My views remain the same. End of!!

He was jailed for firearms offences and for shooting men from behind who were trying to run away. There is no argument for self defence if you shoot someone in the back.

Running away from a man who had challenged them with a gun !!!! No gun & what would they have done to Martin ?

Archived