Is reasonable force reasonable?

If someone has come onto your property with the intention to steal, you should by law, be able to shoot them to buggery. This would bring the crime rate down by around 90% eventually.

Stop pussy-footing around the scumbags, they need teaching.

It didn't stop Mr Fearon's criminal career in it's tracks, did it?

A situation where householders hold firearms would result in a situation

a) where burglars are more likely to be armed

b) where there are many, many more fatal accidents involving firearms. In the US, 60, yes 60, kids under the age of 14 die in accidental shootings, many of these in the home. Hundreds more are injured.

Last time I looked there were still plenty of burglaries in America.

If someone has come onto your property with the intention to steal, you should by law, be able to shoot them to buggery. This would bring the crime rate down by around 90% eventually.

Stop pussy-footing around the scumbags, they need teaching.

I know where you are coming from and I understand what you are saying, but first of all they have to steal something and take it away. This is what happens with shoplifters when the store detective challenges them outside the shop and finds unpaid for goods in their possession.

But the question is about defending ourselves if we are attacked, and it may be that the burgler has no intention whatsoever of attacking you.

If he doesn't attack you then you could be had up for assault.

I know where you are coming from and I understand what you are saying, but first of all they have to steal something and take it away. This is what happens with shoplifters when the store detective challenges them outside the shop and finds unpaid for goods in their possession.

So shoot them as they leave your house:hihi:

But the question is about defending ourselves if we are attacked, and it may be that the burgler has no intention whatsoever of attacking you.

That's a good point Grahame - I don't know the figures but I believe it's a pretty small fraction of burglaries which involve violence towards the householder. Most burglars avoid properties where they think there'll be someone in.

If he doesn't attack you then you could be had up for assault.

Which question?

'cyclone's OP includes 'defence of property'.

By law you have the right to use 'reasonable force' to stop someone stealing your property, to restrain them pending arrest, to remove them from your premises.

In such circumstances you would not be guilty of assault.

Whether or not the police charged you though, is another matter.

why worry over the rights of thieving b******* who would not only take your hard earned belongings but if need be your life or your family,s life

Because some idiots are locked away in they're own little fantasy world, a world where everyone is equal and happy, with fairies fluttering by spreading love, peace, harmony and understanding..... Until they get robbed, mugged or shot at that is!

Which question?

'cyclone's OP includes 'defence of property'.

By law you have the right to use 'reasonable force' to stop someone stealing your property, to restrain them pending arrest, to remove them from your premises.

In such circumstances you would not be guilty of assault.

Whether or not the police charged you though, is another matter.

The thread title is, “Is reasonable force reasonable?”

Cyclone develops the question and asks “Is that reasonable, or should you be allowed to go a little bit further in revenge?”

I'm not disagreeing with your sentiment but you are taking it a stage further and saying that if someone broke into my house and walked away with my television then even though I have not been attacked I would be allowed to use reasonable force to stop that happening, which may mean attacking them while they are running away?

I'm not sure we are allowed to attack people even if we have good reason and I need to ask you for your source please bearing in mind I have not been physically attacked myself and if I pursue the thief I may be guilty of assault even if it is only to recover my property?

You do make a good point and it is one that needs clearing up. :)

Because some idiots are locked away in they're own little fantasy world, a world where everyone is equal and happy, with fairies fluttering by spreading love, peace, harmony and understanding..... Until they get robbed, mugged or shot at that is!

Rather than make rather pointless attempts to ridicule other users, perhaps you could try addressing some of the points made - how about my response to your suggestion that the law should allow us to shoot burglars?

There's nothing fantastical about fairies, just some fact and opinion.

Rather than make rather pointless attempts to ridicule other users, perhaps you could try addressing some of the points made - how about my response to your suggestion that the law should allow us to shoot burglars?

There's nothing fantastical about fairies, just some fact and opinion.

Is that you KenH? :D:hihi:

Archived