History of a house

Can anyone tell me how I can find out who lived at a particular address over a period of time ? I have tried looking on the census returns but these are only every 10 years and the web site I use needs a name to find the address !

The Local Studies Section at Central Library have a good collection of White's and Kelly's directories from around 1850 to present day. Some of them have alphabetical listings of residents with addresses as well as street listings with householder's names.

Two other sources of information about addresses.

The Burgess Rolls (electoral registers) were compiled annually from the 1860's (?) although they are most useful from the 1880's when there was a significant extension of the franchise. From about 1881 they are arranged by ward, polling district and then street. Only heads of household are listed. These records are in the Local Studies Library, on microfiche up to 1938, then actual volumes from 1945. There are street indexes.

Ratebooks were compiled twice a year and the ones I have used exist for the period up to c 1893 when Sheffield became a city. There must have been detailed records for later periods but I don't know where they are. Ratebooks are arranged by township with the collectors following a 'route' which tended to stay constant over many years. There is no street or name index. The books will list the occupier (head of household only) and owner of the property as well as the type of property (house, garden, shop etc), the rateable value and whether the occupier was in arrears. These records are on microfilm in Sheffield Archives. Similar to these earlier ratebooks is the 1911 Rate Revaluation, but I believe it is incomplete for Sheffield.

Hugh

Hi daven

Some time ago I was looking for the history of a house and came across some information just by chance.

In the Sheffield Archives they have some planning permission drawings, plans and permissions which have been donated.

These are listed alphabetically on a card index in a cabinet near the desk.

If you do find anything the staff will fetch you the papers and plans etc. for you to view.

I found not only the drawings for the house I was researching for someone in Australia but the family home also.

I do hope this helps you.

Happy Days!

Archived