Which gym would you recommend in Sheffield?

There are still some good private gyms around, The Max at Walkley & In Trim at Manor Top for example. Always go and have a good look round, take up any free trials on offer & quiz the staff. If possible try & have a chat with members. You should be able to get a feel for the place & see if it's for you.

best value for money is fitness unlimited - get use of.....

ponds forge - Which is in the process of having £3million spent on the GYM and STUDIOS

Hillsborough - this has been voted the best leisure centre inthe country for the last 2 years running and is in the last three for this years finals (this is the official FIA national awards not some sheffield wide thing)

Concord sports centre - had 2 milion spent on the gym only 2 years ago

Don Valley - use the track and train at the gym with the sheffield eagles etc!!

A peak membership costs £22.99

why wouldn't you join?!?!?!!?!?!?

Thought i'd resurrect this thread for my own needs (if that's alright?!)

Do you know of any gym that lets people pay on the door and use their facilities on a casual basis?

Reason is, i'm a student, can't afford much and wouldn't get my moneysworth if I joined as a member for a month or so.

Looking to go once or twice a week for a couple of hours at a time.

Ideally, i'd like a place within Hillsborough or as far as Meadowhall area, and not too posy. :hihi:

My regular place was Pinegrove, used to go a lot but obviously cannot go anymore. :(

Thanks guys and gals.

• 2 weeks later...

You could give S10 Health - the University gym at Goodwin off Northumberland Road a look. It's pretty big, though it does get full of students during term time, but most of them go for the cheap off peak membership so it's quite quiet after 5pm. During University holidays, it's fantastic.

You get free use of the swimming pool, classes etc for a reasonable £37 a month, discounts for staff and alumni.

Sheffield Hallam's Gym is great. Cheap and with professional approachable staff and all you need for all round fitness.

Do not join Mercure Gym at the St Pauls Hotel Surrey Street. I had a really bad experience.

The staff are rarely there and unapproachable. creating work outs that I did not feel safe doing.

All the machines are automated so you have no control over your own workout and have to rely on unapproachable staff.

The changing rooms are not large enough for the number of members.

The spar is cold even the sauna

frequently brocken machines

The also have really poor admin the charged me monthly membership twice in one month and once challenged offered no apology. This has happened again this month, even though I cancelled my membership months ago. This time they set up a DD in the new company name and took £156 in one month. They admitted the mistake and but did not appologise and said that my bank was to blame because it had allow the DD. Sorry for the rant but I don't want anyone else to go through what I did!

I recon it all depends what you are looking for! If you're not a member of a gym at the moment I'd suggest trying somewhere you can pay as you go first just to make sure you like it. Althought htey are very nice the likes of Virgin, Green's etc are very expensive and tie you down to a long contract, whereby most people end up paying even though they're not going!

Ponds Forge has a pay as you go option and then if you do decide to join it's only £22.99 per month! No frills but still good - the classes are ace!

Bargain - especially as they are now uopdating the facilities and not changing the price!

Sheffield Hallam's Gym is great. Cheap and with professional approachable staff and all you need for all round fitness.

Do not join Mercure Gym at the St Pauls Hotel Surrey Street. I had a really bad experience.

The staff are rarely there and unapproachable. creating work outs that I did not feel safe doing.

All the machines are automated so you have no control over your own workout and have to rely on unapproachable staff.

The changing rooms are not large enough for the number of members.

The spar is cold even the sauna

frequently brocken machines

The also have really poor admin the charged me monthly membership twice in one month and once challenged offered no apology. This has happened again this month, even though I cancelled my membership months ago. This time they set up a DD in the new company name and took £156 in one month. They admitted the mistake and but did not appologise and said that my bank was to blame because it had allow the DD. Sorry for the rant but I don't want anyone else to go through what I did!

Never had a problem with the machine's myself, and the spar area is now working fine and has been for the last few months. Infact sine Mercure took over the place is a lot better maintained.

As for the staff well i can not agree with you on that one. They are some of the nicest approacable people i have come across.

But the issues with the direct debits i can not deny were a pain £156 in one month ouch, but then again then i did have a few months with out paying.

Never had a problem with the changing rooms not being big enough, just wish they would go back to using the old shower gell that they use to use, instead of some cheap rubbish.

Archived