Which gym would you recommend in Sheffield?

Esporta by a country mile. Most members are proffessionals, none of the young iron pumping fools. Also get on a machine, to which there are plenty of. Beautfil pool, spa facilities that open till 10:30pm and a nice bar area. Very clean, very friendly staff. reassuringly expensive !!

• 3 weeks later...

I would suggest looking at the opening times and what you expect to use. Virgin closes a lot earlier than Esporta and does not really have a bar. Esporta has a hair salon, Virgin has more therapy based options. I always found Esporta quite clichey and felt more comfortable at Virgin, which always seems to be on the way to or from anywhere I go. Esporta is more popular with stay at home yummy mummys that Virgin. It also had more retired people. But Virgin is more cosmopolitan and has a nice busy vibe but all gyms offer tours, so you can get to feel what is right for you.

I loved being at Esporta but moved to Green's (god only knows why) thinking it was a good gym. I had heard from many people that it was a good gym, clean, staff that are really friendly and helpful. Boy was I misinformed the gym is OK (i am being kind when i say it is ok) clean....erm no comment and the staff well like I say I was misinformed and I am being polite when I say that. I dont think I have ever met people who are so ignorant in that place and I am not talking about the members.

Ponds Forge is still best value in my opinion and I can't wait for the new gym to open next year - it'll be top class facilities but still at such a good price! And with the new changing rooms it should mean the areas i'd use will all be brand spanking and therefore clean :0)

Although I love ponds forge for swimmimg it does have its negative points not least parking,(which you have to pay for)traffic in town and although I dont use the gym I have been told by those that do it can get very busy and is not as nice as virgin or esporta.

Archived