Wills family from Ecclesall B

Hi everyone,

I hope you can help me. I'm looking for descendants of James and Hannah Wills. They had 5 children from 1851 to 1870, James, William, Herbert, Margaret and Alice. Alice was my husband's grandmother and we are looking for some relatives. I found nothing about James (1851), William (1856) had 3 children (James, Lottie and William), Herbert (1858) married Harriet Ada Ashton and they had 4 children (Alice, Herbert, Thomas and Harry). Margaret married Charles Kirkby and they had 4, Harold, Miriam, Margaret and Norman. Margaret married Percy Darcy and as far as I know hat 2 daughters Helen & Muriel, born around 1915 and 1917. From there I can't find anyone as the census are not yet available. If anyone know of the family, please, please let me know.

Carmsey:)

Hi Carmsey,

As the last census available to us was the 1901, was all the family living in Sheffield at that time? Perhaps their names and ages in 1901 might be familiar to some members.

Regards,

Doreen

Doreen,

I think that Herbert and Margaret and their families were living at Ecclesall during the 1901 census. Alice and her mother at Heely. I don't know about the other brothers and I think the the sister Miriam died as a child.

Hope that this helps for someone to help me out. They would be the only living relatives of my husband on his mother's side. It would really be great to find at least one.

cheers,

Carmsey:)

I think the younger Margaret (KIRKBY) married Percy J DARBY rather than DARCY. The births of Helen and Muriel DARBY were both registered in Prestwich.

James the eldest son is still at home in 1871. I think this is his marriage:

GRO Marriages JUN Qtr 1876

WILLS James

LONGDEN Eliza Ann

Ecclesall B. 9c 384

..and the family in the 1901 census index:

census place: Heeley

James Wills 50 Fitter Engineers Derbys Cranbrook

Eliza Ann Wills 47 Derbys Woodlands

Nellie Wills 23 Postoffice Assistant Yorks Heeley

Maggie Wills 19 Student In College Leicesters Leicester

Annie Wills 17 Clerk In Co Op Stores Leicesters Leicester

Anna Wills 15 Yorks Sheffield

White's 1901 Directory has James WILLS (j) engineer at 91 Shirebrook Rd, Heeley (j=journeyman)

Having both Annie and Anna may have been a bit confusing :huh:

Hugh

Hugh, this is amazing thanks. It sounds like it could be as I found those names on my mother-in-law's autograph book

I wonder if there is any more relatives. I have written to Zoe Wills from Ashton Seals to see if there is any links there.

thanks guys I'm very optimistic about this.

Carmsey

This is more speculative. I had a wander through the GRO Marriage indexes to see if I could spot Helen M and Muriel DARBY. There is no guarantee these are the right ones:

GRO Marriage JUN Qtr 1934

DARBY Helen M

WALKER George R.

reference: W. Ham 4a 644

GRO Marriage DEC Qtr 1939

DARBY Muriel

BUCKBY Gordon H

reference: Birmingham 6d 1460

There can't be many people called Muriel BUCKBY...

news report

video news report

This woman's age is a couple of years out, but errors like that can creep in.

(I hope she is better!)

Hugh

Archived