Whats the best way to avoid stiffness - after a workout?

Read a study today on ice baths, apparently they've been shown to increase pain 24 hrs later, not reduce it... Now I'm conflicted, it's a peer reviewed study, so it should be sound, but i personally thought that I was finding it beneficial...

Read a study today on ice baths, apparently they've been shown to increase pain 24 hrs later, not reduce it... Now I'm conflicted, it's a peer reviewed study, so it should be sound, but i personally thought that I was finding it beneficial...

that study is a bit controversial as pain was 'subjective' - see below.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6287210.stm

John Brewer, Director of the Lucozade Sports Science Academy, said he did not find it surprising that there was no difference between the two samples.

"I don't find it hard to believe that the ice doesn't have any long-term benefit, although I would question whether the ice group really did feel more pain after 24 hours than the tepid group. The problem with pain is that it is subjective and very hard to measure," he said.

"And because it's subjective, there may even be a placebo effect on those who take the cold bath. It's part of their ritual, it finishes off the endurance test, and many clearly report that it makes them feel better."

I liked the hypothesis on why it worked, stiffness/soreness comes from micro tearing in the muscles (this is why you get stronger, your body repairs the damage plus a bit), the damage causes swelling, ice reduces swelling, it's the same advice given for many injuries. RICE, rest ice compression elevation. For the first 12 - 24 hrs, after that heat can also be beneficial because it increases blood flow...

It is a difficult thing to measure I suppose, so for now I'll stick with my own perceptions of it.

Material being proteins, amino acids and the cells that repair damaged structures. These base materials being transported through your circulatory system. Hence increased blood flow being good, which is why light exercise helps.

I do the following 3 things and almost never get stifness even after 13 mile runs

1,stretch afterwards

2,A glass of slimfast

3 A cold bath

the slimfast is nothing to do with losing weight btw just find it brings me round quickly particularly after a long workout.

Archived