Help needed from Drummers - drumsticks for a 16yr old?

My nephew turns 16 this month (god I am soooo old).

My brother is buying him a drum kit :D I wanted to buy him some drum sticks as a birthday pressie but not sure if they are all the same or is it worth splashing out? Whats a good make of sticks, how much should I exect to pay and where can I get them from?

I wondered if Music Box in the Lanes at Meadowhall might be the place to get some but I don't know if they sell them or even if they are open. I can't venture far as about to drop minimaddy no 2 anytime soon!

• 2 years later...

a decent pair of drumsticks cost around a tenner. It's worth buying a decent pair as they'll last much longer. Decent makes include Pro Mark, Vater and Vic Firth. They come in a range of shapes, woods and sizes, if in doubt then ask behind the counter but for a beginner I'd suggest something like a 5a with nylon tips. I'm sorry but I have no experience of Sheffield drum/music shops.

mogwai84 hits the nail on the head.

I always preferred nylon tipped sticks (thought they sounded 'cleaner' on the hi-hats) and I'm sure I used to use 5B (medium light). Can't remember how much I paid but I'd guess between £8 and £12 a pair (being 20 years since I last purchased a pair).

Like most things regarding musical instruments, it's personal choice and you might have to try different types, weights and sizes before finding the correct pair of sticks (or even have a selection for different types of drumming).

as someone else said, go with 5a's. i wouldn't bother with nylon tips... let him make his own mind up when he's got some experience. any 5a's will do, they sell some cheap one's in meadowhall music box (or whatever it's called). personally, i'd go for vic firth 5a's which you can buy from any decent music shop

as someone else said, go with 5a's. i wouldn't bother with nylon tips... let him make his own mind up when he's got some experience. any 5a's will do, they sell some cheap one's in meadowhall music box (or whatever it's called). personally, i'd go for vic firth 5a's which you can buy from any decent music shop

nylon tips are more hard wearing, which is probably best for a 16yo beginner! As you say it's personal preference and he'll try plenty of sticks before settling for one type.

Archived