Unwashed hair self cleaning and amazing

I've been a little off and on with this experiment.

For about ten days I kept ALL products off it and it looked horrific. So being the weak-willed feeble person that I am, I ended up sticking some after-products on and just rinsing them out with water (can't imagine this is a good idea long term).

Then last week I put henna on so have not needed to condition since - am still not using shampoo and conditioner.

If I had the time/inclination to henna once a week I think the problem would be solved. I really can't recommend it highly enough to anyone with hair in bad condition who wants a subtle change of colour and lots of fun messing around with gloopy vegetable products :)

I knew a couple of hippy friends who tried this a few years ago. They persisted for a month or two until enough people told them that they smelled bad, then they gave up. I guess it must work for some people, but can't remember the last time I saw a tramp with a healthy-looking head of unwashed hair.

I knew a couple of hippy friends who tried this a few years ago. They persisted for a month or two until enough people told them that they smelled bad, then they gave up. I guess it must work for some people, but can't remember the last time I saw a tramp with a healthy-looking head of unwashed hair.

Possibly because they don't have access to clean hot water, daily, as I do... or a healthy diet, as I do, etc. etc.

Update on progress:

I seem to have gone through the terrible stage and now my hair seems to be ok. I was told the other day that it still looks glossy. It's not greasy and feels quite nice now, certainly better than it did after having a shampoo; it's no longer dry.

I'm no longer tempted to shampoo it but on a couple of occasions I have used diluted conditioner on the ends when I've been going out and needed to blow dry it.

I have a dilemma now though. I need to get it cut so will a hairdresser insist on shampooing it??

Update on progress:

I seem to have gone through the terrible stage and now my hair seems to be ok. I was told the other day that it still looks glossy. It's not greasy and feels quite nice now, certainly better than it did after having a shampoo; it's no longer dry.

I'm no longer tempted to shampoo it but on a couple of occasions I have used diluted conditioner on the ends when I've been going out and needed to blow dry it.

I have a dilemma now though. I need to get it cut so will a hairdresser insist on shampooing it??

There's The Hair Centre in Crookes that doesn't insist on washing your hair before cutting - that's one of the reasons I go there!

• 2 weeks later...
There's The Hair Centre in Crookes that doesn't insist on washing your hair before cutting - that's one of the reasons I go there!

I may give them a try.... or get the wallpaper scissors and ask the hubby to do it.

Still going.........

• 1 month later...
I have quite thick, long, dry hair and I've tried this before but can only get to the 3 week mark before I feel I have head lice running around as my scalp itches soooo much. I may give it another try though.

Getting towards the 3 month mark now and all is well :thumbsup:

Getting towards the 3 month mark now and all is well :thumbsup:

Why don't you and Goldenfleece post pictures of your hair? Then the 'tramp' comments can be laid to rest! I have really thin hair and very oily skin so I can't imagine doing this. Would never be able to leave the house in the first stages and work wouldn't like that :( .... now if I were to win the lottery....

This sounds great and I really want to try it, I have long thickish hair.

A couple of questions, what about going to the gym? Does just washing in warm water get rid of the sweat (and smell)? Also swimming, my cap doesn't fit properly so the water always gets in, how will I get rid of the smell of chlorine?

Just to add, I don't normally put any other product in my hair except shampoo and conditioner. I never straighten and only blow dry once in a blue moon.

Archived