54 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Empire Bar?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not bothered either way

Originally posted by Patrick2000

The Pomona on Eccy Rd is very good pre-club bar

Why is it a better pub?

I have never (I don't think) been in there so have no personal experience of it. The only thing I know of it was that it was once in the news because someone was stabbed in there. However, this was years ago and could well be an isolated incident for all I know.

The Empire bar has quite a few pretty girls in it (and sadly a few not so pretty ones). Does the Pomona attract more or less nice girls than the Empire bar?

(This is a genuine question and would like to know).

:|

If the stabbing incident was the one in about 2000 I think it was outside the pub and not really anyhting to do with it. It's certainly not in the slightest bit rough. I don't think there's a whole lot between the Eccy road pubs, they all have a fair mix of students and locals. Have seen a lot more underage types in Empire though so if you pull, check the ID!

Originally posted by mjlacey21

If the stabbing incident was the one in about 2000 I think it was outside the pub and not really anyhting to do with it. It's certainly not in the slightest bit rough. I don't think there's a whole lot between the Eccy road pubs, they all have a fair mix of students and locals. Have seen a lot more underage types in Empire though so if you pull, check the ID!

Thanks for the advice. I certainly wouldn't want an underage girl. Perhaps I am not that good at guessing ages but I have never seen anyone in there who I would have thought was under 16 . However, I could well be wrong, and this is certainly a consideration to take into account.

I'm not sure I understand the point about students and locals. Are one lot rougher than the other.

(BTW, I am both a student and a local)

the empire bar isn't on ecclesall road though.

I'd have said that the Devonshire Cat was a much nicer pre club venue. No underage drinkers that i've noticed, no townies, quite a few people on their way to corp later on, but they're all friendly.

I didn't say the Empire was on Ecclesall, I meant that for pre-club bars if he was considering Pomana than most other bars on Ecclesall would be similar. Don't really feel that Devonshire Cat has the best atmosphere for a pre-club bar, well not for me anyway. It's nice for a drink after work or a quiet one though.

i have to say i hate this bar, and the door staff and the smell and the music and the people in there! no offence but its underage heaven and its soooo unclean, it needs a good revamp - i have heard this is happening in very near future, to make it appeal to early 20s. more like the matrix i think (which is ace)

Originally posted by Cyclone

the empire bar isn't on ecclesall road though.

I'd have said that the Devonshire Cat was a much nicer pre club venue. No underage drinkers that i've noticed, no townies, quite a few people on their way to corp later on, but they're all friendly.

no underage drinkers in dev cat??

its a haven for it, as you state, a pre bar for corp, which is FULL of underage drinkers

Archived