Wednesday v United - Can someone explain the rivalry

.....Can someone explain the rivalry between Sheffield Wednesday and Sheffield United fans...and also why are the pubs they all drink in, segragated? .....can't all fans of football teams just get on and not dislike eachother so much?

I think football rivalry is a strange one to explain sometimes. I'm a mad Manchester United fan (please don't send me barrages of abuse, I'm a bit bored of it! I'm not from Sheffield, I'm originally from Macclesfield which is near Manchester... OK?!! :D )

We have a huge rivalry with Liverpool, Leeds and of course Man City. With teams from the same city, like Manchester United and Manchester City (and I suppose Wednesday and United?) the rivalry can be based on wanting to be the best "on your home turf". You work with and sometimes live next-door etc to fans of the local opposition so you have to put up with stick and banter when you lose to them. And if they haven't beaten you for a while then this stick can go on for months, believe me!

Sometimes it's a bit crazy like when Leeds fans do the Munich aeroplane thing (waving arms around in the air to imitate a plane which is out of control), which they know will wind up Manchester United fans. So we sing about hating Leeds s**m and it just goes on and on! Liverpool fans sing something about hating United so we sing about the "Liverpool slums"... It's sometimes just not based on anything sensible! Then you might just get ignorant, prejudiced people who genuinely hate rival opposition teams and fans and I don't understand that... Thankfully I haven't come across too many like that. When it comes down to it I hope that most football fans just love the sport and the rivalry just adds a bit of spice and excitement! Ultimately you want your team to be the most successful. So for (Manchester) United fans that means catching up with, and passing the number of trophies the Liverpool have won...

Sometimes you just sing stuff for a bit of a laugh! I remember last season when West Ham came to Old Trafford in the FA Cup (for their 6-0 thrashing!) they started waving their arms in the air singing "Let's all do a Barthez, let's all do a Barthez, na na na na. Na na na na" which was a mickey take of the season before when Barthez stood like the statue of Liberty when de Canio scored. I was in the Stretford End and I lot of (Manchester) United fans, including me, started laughing!

I think for different people the rivalry can be based on slightly different reasons. These are mine!

Anyway, are you still with me? Or have I sent you to sleep?!

I'm with ya, hmm football rivalry happens all over the world but some take it far more seriously than others. I'm a football fan with some bitter rivals but I am friends with a number of fans from rival clubs. For me it's more that I want their team to do badly than any ill will towards the fans themselves. That said I do still sing all the songs :-)

Originally posted by Barr

I am friends with a number of fans from rival clubs. For me it's more that I want their team to do badly than any ill will towards the fans themselves.

Me too: the majority of my footie liking mates are Liverpool fans! And I certainly don't have any ill will towards the fans either. I've met some very nice Scousers! ;)

So why is it specifically that you want the rival teams to do badly? Is it along the lines of what I've put about wanting your team to be the best on your "home turf"? If you don't win any trophies at least you have the consolation of being the "best" in your part of the country?

• 2 weeks later...

I think football rivalry starts when we are children, it's natural for kids.Then we just never grow up!

But it's all in fun and adds to the excitment.

Come on you Owls!!!!!!!

Originally posted by brg

I think football rivalry starts when we are children, it's natural for kids.Then we just never grow up!

But it's all in fun and adds to the excitment.

Come on you Blades!!!!!!!

Ah yes..... 100% BLADES:P

I've always been a Blades fan, but since moving away from Sheffield i've wanted both teams to do well.

Now living in Manchester I just want City to do well and United to go down the pan! I once saw Beckham in a petrol Station at Salford Quays and he looked like a muppet from a Vodafone sales stand with the crap he was dressed in!

• 1 year later...

Archived