Street Names Shiregreen

Does anybody know the history behind the naming of streets on the Shiregreen estate. There appears to be a lot with 'houses' in there, ie Bellhouse Road, Hatfield House Lane, Gregg House Road etc. I've tried a search but nothing comes up.

Cheers

hi skipskap,shiregreen reform church on valentine cresent have done a book from day1 of the estate maybe the library have it otherwise i think its £15.99

linda2

BRIAN WOODRIFFE HAS WRITTEN AT LEAST 3 BOOKS ON SHIREGREEN AND WINCOBANK HISTORY LOTS OF PHOTO'S AND INFORMATION.

Does anybody know the history behind the naming of streets on the Shiregreen estate. There appears to be a lot with 'houses' in there, ie Bellhouse Road, Hatfield House Lane, Gregg House Road etc. I've tried a search but nothing comes up.

Cheers

Bellhouse Road - name originates from five cottages in the area called Bell Houses.

Hatfield House Lane - Nicholas Hatfield (died in 1558), owned a farm in the area.

Gregg House Road - from a farmhouse built about 1680.

Hope this helps.

Ps:- All above taken from the excellent book "Street Names Of Sheffield" by Peter Harvey. A magnificent publication, which is available from all good bookshops at very reasonable prices.

Yours faithfully,

Mr Harvey.

(only kidding!;)

I bought one last year from waterstones, it listed all sheffield street names and their meanings.

I can not for the life of me remember where i put it ive just looked.

Anyway it was from waterstones on that first far right hand shelf as you go in - local history.

Archived