Help needed with family research please

Hi,

I've recently found out that after spending 5 years searching for my gr grandfather Joseph Harry Warrington b 1899 Sheffield, with no concrete results.

That he was infact born Joseph Harry Shirt son of Fred, and for some reason unknown he changed his name to Warrington sometime before his marriage in 1920.

Is there anyway i can find out when he changed his name and will this documentation reveal his reasons for this???

I have since found Joseph his parents and sister on 1901 census, so can now start to search further back, but was confused as to why he changed his name.

Any help on this dilemma would be greatfully recieved

Kind regards

Martin

ginger,

just a thought that occurred to me...

maybe his mother remarried, and he took the name of her new husband/ was adopted by her new husband?

if you know the name of his mother, you could try looking for her and any further marriages with the new surname?

Great thinking Plain Talker, however have just spoke with my mother and she says that when she spoke with her Aunt, (joseph's Daughter) she remembered her grandfather Fred Shirt being alive when she was young.

So far have not been able to find any link or reason as to why he chose Warrington as a surname.

Have also been on the Deed Poll website and they say that there's no records of name changes through them, unless announced through court of Jurisdiction which was expensive. so dont think i'll find much from them.

Would any of the local papers have published such things back then??

Great thinking Plain Talker, however have just spoke with my mother and she says that when she spoke with her Aunt, (joseph's Daughter) she remembered her grandfather Fred Shirt being alive when she was young.

So far have not been able to find any link or reason as to why he chose Warrington as a surname.

Have also been on the Deed Poll website and they say that there's no records of name changes through them, unless announced through court of Jurisdiction which was expensive. so dont think i'll find much from them.

Would any of the local papers have published such things back then??

Hi, Perhaps he or his intended bride preferred his Mother's maiden of Warrington instead of Shirt and decided to start married life with a new name, he wouldn't have had to give a reason just let everyone know.

One of my Grandmothers brothers was in a regiment to be sent to the " troubles " in Ireland around 1919/1920. Rather than fight the Catholics in Ireland, he deserted and just assumed his mothers maiden name. That portion of the family still uses that name and, as far as I have been able to determine, without having gone through any legal process. So there may be no record of the change in your case.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi,

I've recently found out that after spending 5 years searching for my gr grandfather Joseph Harry Warrington b 1899 Sheffield, with no concrete results.

That he was infact born Joseph Harry Shirt son of Fred, and for some reason unknown he changed his name to Warrington sometime before his marriage in 1920.

Is there anyway i can find out when he changed his name and will this documentation reveal his reasons for this???

I have since found Joseph his parents and sister on 1901 census, so can now start to search further back, but was confused as to why he changed his name.

Any help on this dilemma would be greatfully recieved

Kind regards

Martin

Sometimes people changed their names to join the army under age. Just a thought.

In the 1901 census Fred SHIRT is 24 years old.

There is no Fred in the 1891 census aged 14, but there is a Fred WARRINGTON, with parents Thomas Wm & Sarah E (and lots of siblings).

The following appear on the same page in the GRO marriage index:

GRO Marriages Dec Qtr 1880

Shirt Sarah Emma Ecclesall Bierlow 9c 360

Warrington Thomas William Ecclesall B 9c 360

(two other names on page - may not be a couple)

Fred is too old to be a child of this marriage so Sarah E was probably married to a SHIRT before she married Thomas Wm.

here is a possible marriage, but needs confirming:

Marriages Jun Qtr 1873

SHIRT Harry Sheffield 9c 569

WORTHINGTON Sarah Emma Sheffield 9c 569

(two other names on page - may not be a couple)

The fact that we have the name Harry again is a good sign.

Hugh

In 1881 and 1901 Sarah Emma's birthplace is listed as Hyde, Cheshire. Then there is this entry in the birth index:

GRO Births DEC Qtr 1853

WORTHINGTON Sarah Emma

Stockport 8a 11

The Stockport Registration District includes Hyde. This is evidence in favour of the above marriage of Harry SHIRT and Sarah Emma WORTHINGTON being the right one.

There is a death entry for a Harry SHIRT in 1877:

GRO Deaths MAR Qtr 1877

SHIRT Harry 24

Ecclesall B. 9c 191

In 1881 there are three children, including Fred, who are listed as WARRINGTON but were born before the marriage of Sarah to Thomas William. There are birth entries for all three under the name SHIRT. If Harry died in 1877, however, he cannot be the father of the youngest, Charles Edward who was only 9 months old in the 1881 census. This age of 9 months already has a certain amount of fiction about it as the birth seems to have been registered in SEP Qtr 1879.

I think I have found marriages for Charles and for the eldest sibling (Ada) under the name WARRINGTON.

Hugh

Archived