Your film views etc.....

vidster

It has probably been done before but i would like to start a thread about films.

I would like to know things like:

1. What are your favourite films.

2. Your thoughts on films you have seen recently.

Also, any other thoughts or observations about films.

I'll start the bidding.

Some of the best films (or films that have made an impact on me).

Schindlers List

Green Mile

Boys n the hood

Murder in the first

Sleepers

Ohh god, i've just realised what i've done. There are so many!

Faves are

When Harry Met Sally

Xanadu

Sleepless In Seattle

The Star Trek movies

You've Got Mail

Something About Mary

Bladerunner (but NOT the director's cut)

Beauty & The Beast (some stunningly brilliant animation)

Titanic

Close Encounters

also....

Swing Shift. I've just found out (all these years later) that a friend of mine had a small part in it and I can't find a copy anywhere. Can anybody help?

I also have a movie moan!

Why oh why do people fiddle with film formats and chop the picture around? TV companies are the worst offenders for just showing us the middle bit of a picture. Even the movies which are allegedly widescreen are actually 16:9 format, which is nowhere near as wide as a full 'scope' cinema picture.

And now they are building those horrible matchbox sized cinemas without proper screens that only show stuff in 16:9 too! Fine if the film is made that way, but the big blockbusters just don't fit!!!! The old UCI at Crystal Peaks were particularly bad for this. On the other hand, brownie points go to the UGC at Centertainment for showing a full width picture either on a proper size screen or across the middle of a 16:9 screen.

If you want to know how to tell if you're not getting the whole picture look for the 'cue dots' in the top right corner which flash on the screen twice about every 20 mins. These marks look like a little 'O' in the corner of the pic and are there to tell the projectionist that the reel is ending and to start the next reel on the second projector. If you don't see them or you only see half of the 'O' then your film has been masked in some way to make the image fit the screen. Once you know, it starts to look obvious.

Star Wars trilogy

Gremlins

War of the Worlds (and it's on C5 this afternoon)

Dark Crystal

Star Trek First Contact

I saw Shark Tale last week, definitely a good movie for all ages not just kids.

Any film noir fans out there?

I love the old 1940s/50s stuff - Double Indemnity, The Postman Always Rings Twice, High Sierra, that sort of stuff.

An ambition of mine is to make a modern day one!

I was quite impressed with the Cohen Brothers' 'The man who wasn't there' as a shot at modern noir. Weird, but not bad.

Joe

If I could remake any old film, I'd remake War of the Worlds, and make it actually relevant to the original book, unlike the 1953 movie.

Apparently a WOTW remake starring Tom Cruise is being made, planned for release in 2006.

When going to cinema I want to see visual spectacle, anything not of this world. Don't see the point in making a film about real life, might as well go and see it for real. (Meet plenty of people with the reverse view who are only interested in films about something which could actually happen.)

For films on TV want to see male characters I like and female charcters I fancy. ( Not too complicated there then.)

Fav films : Monty Python And The Holy Grail, Spinal Tap, Blade Runner ( not prefering dircector's cut is just plain blasphemy, i think android girl gets human life span in other, which just plain spoils the tragedy, although good for her. book good too, but about different things,) Seven Samurai, Brazil, Star Wars films, Two Lane Black Top, The Big Sleep, To Have And Have Not, (mainly cause of Lauren Baccal,) Casablanca, Tropic Of Capricorn, Treasure Of Sierra Madre (best/virtually only Bogart acting,) The Far Country, The Naked Spur, (James Stewart likeable, even if like most successful actors basically just plays the same character over and over again,) Fifth Element, Twelve Monkeys, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, O Brother Where Art Though, The Jungle Book

Fav films (so far....im only young)

Apocalypse Now (original, redux is far to long)

Dog day afternoon

romeo and juliet (Baz Luhrmann version)

La Haine

No mans land

Latest films ive seen.

Hero, if you like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon you will like this.

Collateral, really liked this film.

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, just love Will Ferrell.

Archived