Blades chat - discuss the games/news here

tosh13

No-one's talking about a divine right to promotion, but the fans can expect to see some progress and the fact is that many thought after the two semis and play-off finals of two years ago, we were on the right tracks.

Whilst the club remains in a healthy position I personally feel that it is merely treading water and playing it safe. I agree that money helps teams build a decent side to mount a serious promotion challenge but United still boast better than average attendances - unlike Wigan - so the revenue should be there to put some money toward signing better quality players.

I'm not dissing what Warnock has done; far from it. But I feel it's time to freshen things up and to implement some new ideas. We're simply resting on our laurels to think 'who will do a better job than Warnock?'

This is, I believe our 12th consecutive season in this league. On paper it doesn't much look like progress to me.

Originally posted by Ousetunes

This is, I believe our 12th consecutive season in this league. On paper it doesn't much look like progress to me.

It might not have been, thanks to the Dark Days of Adrian Heath....

Originally posted by Agent ****

I really can't disagree with you more over Harley, I think he's one of the few players we should fight to keep hold of.

Even Keith Edwards has said Harley has been poor this season,what makes a good player play poor when he has class,desire he does not want to be in the Champoinship when he has played for Chelseas & Fulham in the Premiere League.I would stick him in the reserves for a couple of matches to shake him up a a bit.

Originally posted by Robbie_Lovin

but your one of the "fans" they have not ripped off, as you dont go to games,

yes it was a poor performance, yes warnock maybe time for him to go, but lets face it, he has done so much for us, and there really nobody to replace him.

come up with a good answer on who will replace him and i will be ready to say get rid of warnock now, yes our play offs have gone for this season, but we have a great side,

Well Portsmouth have there manager So Strachan would be a good replacement,Warnock has done a really good job,same as Bassett but there comes a time when a manager gets stale & Bassett saw that & resigned.

Until the board realise that all the progress that Warnock has done for the club & give him a job on the board because he knows all about wheeling & dealing & how hard it has been for every manager here at the Lane,.Get a new manager in wether it be outside of the club,but I think McCall deserves a chance,he was a tough player & won loads as a player both in England & Scotland so he has experience of top flight football & has been with some great managers.At Everton & Rangers.I say give him a go.UP THE BLADES

A major issue must be the quality of players vs the quality of football they produce. The league performances have been awful.

I think we have a decent squad of players and a good manager should have them playing a lot better than they are.

Harley needs to pull his socks up.

Beckett will go and if probably happy to get a signing fee for doing nothing.

Ward, Cads, Wright, Morgan, T Johnson should go.

I'd keep Monty as whilst he isn't the best on the ball he gets around the pitch and can do a good man marking job. One to come off the bench.

If he isn't going to play Forte he should loan him for the season.

Cullip imo is a far superior defender to Morgan and not as stupid (pointless free kicks etc)

We need a quality creative midfielder. If we only sign one player it has to be in this position.

Flog Tonge if we can get a decent amount of money for him. Same with Kenny (if we can get Bennett on the cheap and get 1.5-2 million for Kenny) Given is meant to be going to Man U so if they want Kenny to replace him we can up the price (although knowing this club we'll probably only ask for 500k.

There is a fairly decent chance that Brown could be available for transfer from Spurs. Get him back. I'm sure if Spurs told him he was surplus he'd come back.

I'd rather a fit Armstrong play than Harley. He has done nothing and gets worse defencively with every game. It could just be a bad season but he's been on a slow downward spiral since Chelsea.

There must be decent foreign players we can pick up on the cheap. Warnock doesn't seem to be very good at picking them though. Or more importantly using them correctly.

Totally agree Robbie but Brown has been offered a 3 year rolling contract at Spurs the manager has said he wanted to reward him for the hard work he put's into the team.Cullip should never have gone to Watford Morgan should have gone,look at Morgans record ,sending off & yellow cards & Cullip played really good against Arsenal,to be fare to Beckett Warnock has never really given the lad a decent run in the team,but I think he will be sold.Well I hope Stoke do Utd a favour & beat West Ham.UP THE BLADES

The Board won't get rid of warnock - he has made them £3 Million in the past few years from transfers ect ect - they are happy to keep us as a top half championship side with a healthy bank balance, if we go up they would have to risk the financial stability we have by signing new players on bigger wages and i just don't think they are willing to risk it!!!

Until someone VERY rich comes and pumps lots of cash into united the current board will do exacly the same as they are doing now- freeing up half a million at a time for the manager to spend.

Originally posted by scottf

The Board won't get rid of warnock - he has made them £3 Million in the past few years from transfers ect ect - they are happy to keep us as a top half championship side with a healthy bank balance, if we go up they would have to risk the financial stability we have by signing new players on bigger wages and i just don't think they are willing to risk it!!!

Until someone VERY rich comes and pumps lots of cash into united the current board will do exacly the same as they are doing now- freeing up half a million at a time for the manager to spend.

Well said. Going up and coming straight back down could be catastophic for us. We'd be back to square one again if we're paying average players premiership wages when they don't want to scrap in division 1.

But then what's the solution? Another 12 years of second tier football?

Archived