Blades chat - discuss the games/news here

tosh13

Originally posted by scottf

Bring good players in on 1 year contracts would be the obvious solution but then they risk loosing them if we go up!

i beg to differ scott, whilst we all know the implecations of coming down to the "championship" can be catatrophic (leeds and weds as example) i don't believe it would be bad for us, you look at our wage bill and it currently stands around the 4 million mark, if we went up, it would be worth 35 million alone (1 full season of £15 million, and 2 parachute payments of 10 million) look at west brom, they look to be doing well, and even if they do come down this season, my money would be on them being champs in the "championship" next season.

what is a possibility of doing with players, is offer them contracts in which they earn premiership wages whilst they are there, and if they was to get relegated for the wages to be dropped in accordance, then effectively in a way it is performance related pay, you stay in the prem league, you get prem wages, simple as.

you look at the teams like birmingham and bolton and charlton, all teams showing that it is possible to be flying with the big guns and all vying for europe (and in boltons case champs league)

yes we know we aint going up this season, but next season.... bring in hume and counago, snap up somebody like keown and we are once again solid.

and tosh, your living in a dream world if you think strachan would come to us

Originally posted by scottf

Apart from macall have we had a DECENT ex premiership player at the lane recently?

Hayles, Harley, Bromby, Quinn.......

Hayles is a decent player as he is showing at millwall (there top scorer)

Harley is having a bad season, and quinn and bromby are both good.

As for the new manager.... i've had a brain storm...... Lets tap up jose mourinho, im sure the board match his ambitions

Warnock (Daily Mirror Quote)

If we do not get into the premiere league this season I think it's time for a change.Looks like we may have a new manager next season,but on the chip butty site Warnock in the Star target premiere league players for next season???.

Warnock targets Premier signings.SHEFFIELD United manager Neil Warnock has presented his directors with a list of potential targets for next season as the club brace themselves for the impact of FIFA's decision to impose transfer windows on the Football League.

The dossier, which is understood to include a number of high-profile names from the Premiership, was lodged in the boardroom following an intensive information gathering exercise undertaken by coaching staff and scouts.

Warnock, a vociferous opponent of plans to limit teams freedom to do business, believes that by taking action now, United will enjoy a head start when the scramble for new talent begins in earnest next month.

The development is also the surest sign yet that Warnock, whose side travel to Watford on Saturday for a fixture which could decide the fate of their bid for the play-offs, is refusing to rule-out the prospect of a top six finish, despite falling four points behind Reading who occupy the final berth.

"We've given a list for the board to look at and they're considering it as we speak," he confirmed today.

"It includes people for whatever division we'll find ourselves in.

"This (transfer windows) is really going to be problematic because we'll have to have a squad in place to cope for whatever happens throughout the course of a year.

"It'll be bad enough for us but how someone like Scunthorpe are going to cope I really don't know.

"However it seems we've just got to get on with it and prepare, which is why we've taken this step."

United's history of goalkeeping problems - or more specifically, their lack of adequate cover - highlight the headaches Warnock and his contemporaries will face when FIFA's latest cause celebre comes into effect.

In the past Warnock has used the loan market when Paddy Kenny has been unavailable for selection but his ability to do so again will be severely limited by the new legislation.

The scheme also means that United are unlikely to allow

Warnock quit talk rebuffed

Sheffield United vice-chairman Terry Robinson has laughed off rumours manager Neil Warnock is set to quit.

It has been reported Warnock was ready to walk away from Bramall Lane if the Blades failed to reach the Premiership this season.

"It's a load of rubbish," said Robinson. "Neil is under contract with us.

"There is no truth in those rumours whatsoever."

United must win all three of their remaining fixtures and rely on other results to go their way if they are to reach the play-offs for the second time in three seasons.

Warnock took charge of United in December 1999 and has previously been manager at Scarborough, Notts County, Huddersfield, Plymouth, Oldham and Bury.

According to sources the list for new players was made by McCall not Warnock,sounds like he will go if we blow the playoffs.UP THE BLADES

I think the best player to arrive at the club a couple of years ago was Stuart McCall, he was the midfields engine and players like Brown and Tonge fed off his experience and quality.

However, McCall the manager I can not see just yet. I can see it as a Steve Bruce situation, new manager new to the management game. Even with all the playing experience will the challenge of trying to get decent money from a board like we have prove too much. Bruce has done great with Birmingham and did well since leaving the Blades but that's because he has had the backing. I can see McCall becoming a great manager but not with the blades in his first few years (on the assumption it all happens if Warnock goes) he will not have any power on the board and end up leaving. Back to square one? Only time will tell!

Archived