Blades chat - discuss the games/news here

tosh13

Originally posted by brooksy

spoke to a chap last night who works in the sales at utd and he told me a deals almost done to bring gordon strachan in next season.

The Strachan rumour is gathering ground. I know someone who works in cooperate hospitality down at the Lane who mentioned this to me a couple of weeks ago.

Originally posted by Agent ****

I still think Warnock is the right man for the job. We just can't attract the big players because (a) we can't afford them, and (b) we aren't a big club.

Goalkeeper; Kenny has no competition.

Not exactly what I'd call promotion contenders unfortunately.

Very good and constructive observations from Agent ****. I’ve edited most of it purely to save space.

My take on it is we need a very serious amount of funds injected into the club if we are to make any progress forward. Where this comes from is another argument. Warnock has been at the club now for coming up to 5 years. I n that time we have come from a club of flirting with relegation to a club of making the playoffs (except for last season and maybe this season) and a few good cup runs. A manager can only take a club so far on the money available to him. As a blade Warnock has put his heart and soul into our club. We can see his passion for the club from his spats with various officials and the way he has had certain players playing above their levels. Once a manager as done all he can with what he has to work with the situation can stagnate and heaven forbid there can be a slow decline as seen with Harry Bassett. The state of affairs with the playing staff needs looking NOW. If Warnock stays at the end of the season he needs transfer money. If there is to be a new face in charge at Sheffield 2 then he needs money. Or are we to continue getting cast-offs from Sheffield 6.

Right, whinge over.

I was told that Kenny came in for a slating on Radio Sheffield’s praise or grumble on Saturday for being “rubbish” in the penalty shoot out in the Arsenal game. Is this true?

Townblade yes it's true a fan said Kenny was rubbish I thought it was poor of the Utd supporter to say that as Kenny was injured,but we all have an opinion,Birmingham & Villa are ready to offer £1.5m for Kenny in the summer & Charlton in for Jags.UP THE BLADES

Kenny was rubbish in the shoot out because he was injured. Either Warnock or Kenny should have made the decision that since Kenny couldn't dive that Jags should have gone in....

United overall.

Tinkering: he keeps changing the defense every game. needs to keep a settled defense. Morgan is too slow, hot headed and gives so many fouls away he is becoming a liability. Harley cannot do basic sefensive tasks.

Midfield: again. it is unsettled. People come an go in the midfield and it appears to have nothing to do with how they are playing. If Forte that bad that he'd rather push Harley up and destabalise the defense than play him? There is a distinct lack of creativity or goals from midfiled. Apart from Quinn.

Strikers: He wont play Shaw regardless. Cads is not good enough. Ward is a joke. He now has 3 good strikers (Johnson, Kabba, Gray) he needs to play with these 3 in rotation (if he wants to rest Kabba) and use Beckett as back up.

We take the worst corners/freekicks you'll ever see. This surely used to be something we were always good at?

Geary, whilst he does a job and is a good man-marker is a headless chicken defender. He cannot hold the line and constantly plays people on-side. He seems to lack postional skills or decision making ability.

We are shocking at both defending and attacking set pieces.

Originally posted by robbie

Kenny was rubbish in the shoot out because he was injured. Either Warnock or Kenny should have made the decision that since Kenny couldn't dive that Jags should have gone in....

I didn’t hear the comments on the radio but was told there was very hash and was almost a rant. Kenny had taken knocks during the game which proved either Kenny or Warnock made the wrong decision.

We take the worst corners/freekicks you'll ever see. This surely used to be something we were always good at?.

Agreed, our set pieces are shocking. What's with the short corners? I can only recall us scoring from one against Preston at Bramall Lane 2 years ago.

As I listen to the match on radio Sheffield,the Commentator say's corner for Utd,he is so excited & the corner comes over ,the goaly got it.The next bit of action,there's a free kick,he's excited again the defender clears it up field.What the hell do the Utd players do in training because it is not set pieces,like another said we used to be great at set pieces,it's not hard,at corners one on the front post one in the middle & one on the backpost.I think I will apply for the job when Warnock goes.LOL.I wish he could get it right,after all he's a Sheffield lad,but I cannot see it happening.I do not think Strachan will come to the lane & I cannot see a top manager George Graham type come here because we have no money.UP THE BLADES.

see, you take short corners to change the angle of attack. but we just pass it to someone stood next to the corner taker :loopy:

drilled corners to the front post with someone flicking them on. This actually sometimes works if we do it. Unfortunately we arent the biggest side in the world.

see, you take short corners to change the angle of attack. but we just pass it to someone stood next to the corner taker :loopy:

drilled corners to the front post with someone flicking them on. This actually sometimes works if we do it. Unfortunately we arent the biggest side in the world.

Hi Robbie these are the size stats for some of our players

Ward - 6'- 1"

Bromby - 5'- 11"

Tonge -6'-0"

Beckett -5'-11"

Shaw - 5'-11"

Gray -6'-1"

Jags -6'-0"

Cullip -6'-1"

Morgan - 6'-1"

Francis -6'-0"

There are at least 7 over 6 ft & a few just under.I don't call our team small,I just don't think they are attacking sort of playiers at set pieces,look at Dean & Agana when there was a set piece they flew in not caring about injury,they seem to hold back these day's frightened of injury. Look at Dickov at Blackburn he is smaller than Johnson who is 5'-8" & he gets up there at set pieces.UP THE BLADES

Archived