Is your sheffield local quieter or busier now the smoking ban is in place?

MrNM

Yeh! street outside the pub far busier

Are folk actually allowed to drink outside a pub?

If it's the pub property, fine, but what if it's a pavement?

I seem to recall the boys in blue throwing a wobbler about folk gathering outside the Dove & Rainbow many years ago...one of those real hot summers, and people were taking advantage of the cooler air outside. I think the (then) landlord fell foul of the licensing laws because drink was being consumed "off the premises".

Our local is ace now smoking ban has come in. Landlady has reupholstered seating and repainted, pub feels nice and clean now. Went down to our usual quiz night yesterday and it was a little quieter but quite a few people are away on fishing trip. On talking to landlady apparently even smokers who frequent the pub have commented on how much better it is now that its non smoking. It was ace to go home last night and not feel smoky and dirty.

I enjoy it personally, and my mates smoke less too. Been in the Broady, smells a bit bad tbh, too much bleach and cleaning agents I think. And something else, not so nice.... Seems quiter though, but no students atm.

The two Porters (Cottage and Brook) are however very pleasant and seem (again without students) pretty normal to me.

i went to local quiz night last week and was surprised to find it busier thsn ever, perhaps some people who have avoided the pub cos of smoke are startin to venture out, it was good though to come home smellin of nothing but the perfume i went out in.

Nobody smoked much in our local anyway, so hardly any difference. I think the main places it will affect will be the pubs at the lower end of the market. It seems that cigarette smoking is mainly, but not exclusively, confined to the lower classes.

tbh i love the smokin ban,am a bar manager in Eccelsfield and i smoke but am only having 2/3 fags per night against the 10 odd i used to smoke,plus i get to sit down outside,sit down and enjoy a smoke rather than stood up on mi feet rushing it,have only had to pull up 1 punter so far about smokin inside my place

Archived