Wheatley & Bates, Napier Street

I doubt that pesticides would have been used in a brewery.

Regarding the roaches.. I would not be at all surprised. Beer is brewed in open top vessels and brewery buildings were hadly airtight or tidy. I have heard tales of rats running around on roof beams that were suffocated by the CO2 from the brews. They would then fall into the brew. That is why breweries had cats.

It all gave the brew a bit of body.

I doubt that pesticides would have been used in a brewery.

Regarding the roaches.. I would not be at all surprised. Beer is brewed in open top vessels and brewery buildings were hadly airtight or tidy. I have heard tales of rats running around on roof beams that were suffocated by the CO2 from the brews. They would then fall into the brew. That is why breweries had cats.

It all gave the brew a bit of body.

Back in the 30s/40s, I'm not so sure that pesticides wouldn't Shytot. In any event I only mentioned using pesticides in a restaurant kitchen to make the point that the roaches are all over the place. So in a brewery? Highly likely. I believe that they used to be referred to as blackclocks.

• 2 months later...
Back in the 30s/40s, I'm not so sure that pesticides wouldn't Shytot. In any event I only mentioned using pesticides in a restaurant kitchen to make the point that the roaches are all over the place. So in a brewery? Highly likely. I believe that they used to be referred to as blackclocks.

Wow ! That name is a blast formt he past!! My Gran was a very good friend of Molly and Stan Wheatley, my father and Malcolm played cricket together, Gillian (malcolms daughter) and I were at school at Carteknowle for years. Malclom died about 26 years ago, and Gillian, the last I heard, was in Oz!!

Wow ! That name is a blast formt he past!! My Gran was a very good friend of Molly and Stan Wheatley, my father and Malcolm played cricket together, Gillian (malcolms daughter) and I were at school at Carteknowle for years. Malclom died about 26 years ago, and Gillian, the last I heard, was in Oz!!

I was at Malcolm's funeral at Taddington. He lived life to the full. I don't know anyone who smoked quite so much or drank so much Scotch. We had some fabulous nights at his pub.

• 4 months later...
I have had this stone bottle for some years and just wondered if anyone knows anything about it.

What happened to the company? What did the bottle contain? etc.

link to your photo doesn't work, either that or i dont know what i am doing with computers in general i only know the very basics.anyway i work on the railways in lancs, usually between blackpool where i live, and preston and am based between the two at kirkham and wesham.

about three years ago my gang were working on track and an old lad in the gang who is now retired noticed when digging at the side of the track a rather nice thick clear - greeny glass bottle in near perfect condition with the word 'WHEATLEY' moulded into it.the trade mark is on the other side of the bottle and a smaller one on the underside.

no detail of what it contained but the hard plastis screw top fits tight and most of the red rubber seal survives.on top it says 'Wm MARPLES - HILLSBORO'.any idea how i post an image on here from my hard drive? thanks anyway and also for any info relevant to this if anyone knows more, cheers.

Sorry I am in the process of updating links to posts.

To upload a photo yourself you need to join a free hosting website such as Photobucket of flickr, there are others. Follow the simple instructions on the site and then post the link in you Forum post or reply.

link to your photo doesn't work, either that or i dont know what i am doing with computers in general i only know the very basics.anyway i work on the railways in lancs, usually between blackpool where i live, and preston and am based between the two at kirkham and wesham.

about three years ago my gang were working on track and an old lad in the gang who is now retired noticed when digging at the side of the track a rather nice thick clear - greeny glass bottle in near perfect condition with the word 'WHEATLEY' moulded into it.the trade mark is on the other side of the bottle and a smaller one on the underside.

no detail of what it contained but the hard plastis screw top fits tight and most of the red rubber seal survives.on top it says 'Wm MARPLES - HILLSBORO'.any idea how i post an image on here from my hard drive? thanks anyway and also for any info relevant to this if anyone knows more, cheers.

Sorry I am in the process of updating links to posts.

To upload a photo yourself you need to join a free hosting website such as Photobucket of flickr, there are others. Follow the simple instructions on the site and then post the link in you Forum post or reply.

thanks for the hints will try getting my head round it first thing is to take the photo then join flickr cheers again matey.

Archived